Leak Under Pump When Pump Turned Off

Oct 7, 2014
Braintree, MA
When I turn off my pump (Waterway Hi Flo) there appears to be some water seeping out from somewhere near the filter and between it and the pump on the ground level. Can really figure out where it's coming from. Read that it could be a seal in the pump--does that seem right?

Does it only leak when it is off? Seems like some more sleuthing is in order - you've got to look closely and figure out where it's coming from before a fix can be suggested. Various seals in the pump could leak...but so can lots of other things!

When I turn off my pump (Waterway Hi Flo) there appears to be some water seeping out from somewhere near the filter and between it and the pump on the ground level.
That doesn't sound like a seal. If it were the seal, there would be water between the motor and the pump on the ground. A leak near the filter could mean a multi-port valve leak. What kind of filter do you have? Is this an AG pool?

Seems like more of a leak when turned off. But when I have filter at low speed I notice that there are three leaks---one from the ground level of each side of the filter. And the other leak is coming from right underneath the basket on the pump. Filter is a Hayward and it is an above ground pool. Have a few pictures not sure if these help.

The leaks in the picture could be the seal but they could also be the o-ring that sits between the pump basket and volute.

The leaks in the picture could be the seal but they could also be the o-ring that sits between the pump basket and volute.

thanks mas.

could you tell me --- do you know exactly what part that is on this diagram? would it be #8?

Waterway Hi-Flo Above Ground Pump Parts - INYOPools.com

and then i'm assuming i should hit the seal while i'm there

do you know which one that is on this diagram? thanks!

https://www.poolpartsonline.com/p-84299-waterway-carefree-filter-parts.aspx

Yes, it would be number 8. The seal is part of the pump and in the first diagram # 14 but if you get a GoKit it will have all the seals and gaskets.

As for the filter, the spider gasket is 01E but there are other o-rings and gaskets that could be leaking as well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.