Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tropical storm(so much water)

1. Back To Top    #1

Tropical storm(so much water)

I drained the pool down to the bottom of the tile line yesterday before the storm. It was up to the deck by 6pm today. I drained it back down to the bottom of the tile line again tonight.

They are estimating more rain tomorrow than today.

Overall I'm estimating I have taken over a foot of water out of my 28'x15' pool.

What should I(and others)be anticipating as far as chemistry balance after the storm? Im sure I will need more CYA. Should I go ahead and run the SWG on super chlorinate until the storm is over?

28x15 Gunite pool. About 10k gallons. SWG.

15x28 free form in ground crystal Crete
    10-12k gallons
    Hayward aqua rite TCell 9 SWG
    Hayward Maxflo VS pump
    Hayward Star-Clear C1200

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tropical storm(so much water)

You may be low on salt too. I would add bleach or liquid chlorine myself...

3. Back To Top    #3

Do you have a main drain? Can/will your pump run if you just use the main drain? If so it might be helpful to pull your water below the skimmer but with the returns covered.

We are right in the eye of the storm so waiting to see just how much rain we end up getting. I have my pool lowered and waiting to see what happens.

I can tell you that you might as well know your levels will be all whacked out LOL. PH up, CYA low, FC low, mess from wind, etc. BUT it will not be anything a good test kit and some bleach and MA cannot cure!

Just try to make sure your pool does not over flow and cause damage to the coping and such.

TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Down here in Clearwater squalls continue, and I've been dumping pool water into my swamp of a backyard. Added bleach after Wednesday's full day of rain, and yesterday FC tested at 7.5 (SWG running as normal and no sun to burn off chlorine). Today's task is to scoop all the leaf debris from the pool--Polaris 280 will not be able to suck it all up. Rain will continue on and off all day, so I'm not worried about rebalancing chems just yet. Will test for FC and pH and adjust as needed. Hope all is well in Tallahassee and elsewhere in FL.
    16K gallon IG exposed aggregate pool with Aquarite SWG T15 cell, Hayward C1750 filter, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, H400FD pool/spa heater, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump, 280 pressure cleaner, Hayward Super II spa pump and Air Supply Silencer spa blower

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Just try to make sure your pool does not over flow and cause damage to the coping and such.
    Damage to the coping? What should we be looking for? It's our first year with a pool and our first major storm since moving to Florida. Our pool is all the way to the tippy-top this morning and my husband plans to drain some water this morning.
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

6. Back To Top    #6

We're drowning around here too... expecting rain all day today and most of day tomorrow. I'm planning to drain some tomorrow. Where was all the rain when I had to drain twice to get my CYA under control!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I haven't been doing anything differently with the SWG - just letting it run as it normally does, and tossing in bleach if an extra boost if needed.
    Kelly, Tampa FL
    15' by 4' Intex above ground metal frame, about 5300 gallons
    Intex 120V Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump & Saltwater System CG-28679 with E.C.O.
    TF100 Kit and Speedstir
    Intex Auto Cleaner - works great!

7. Back To Top    #7

Nothing to report in the Panhandle. Hardly a cloud in the sky and beautiful Sorry that it hit you guys so hard.
    19328 Gallon Above-Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage 1.5hp Pump. Dolphin Nautilus Plus "Flipper" Robot. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based. 340gallon Marquis Spa. Bromine based. Established 2007.

8. Back To Top    #8

Absolute drenching rain here in Augusta (SE Georgia). Needed to top off the pool so pulled back the cover and letting the rain give us a boost.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

2 3/4" Of rain so far in Hampstead and it has only been raining a couple of hours. I've got the pump turned off and the drain (skimmer only) open in hopes that the rain water will float off the top of the salt water and screw up my chemistry as little as possible. We'll see. It sure ruins an OCLT!

edit

Now after over 7" of rain the pump is on, valve to waste. And it still can't keep up.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Holydoc View Post
    Nothing to report in the Panhandle. Hardly a cloud in the sky and beautiful Sorry that it hit you guys so hard.
    I remember Navarre getting hit hard a couple times. Your area deserves a break.
    16K gallon IG exposed aggregate pool with Aquarite SWG T15 cell, Hayward C1750 filter, EcoStar SP3400VSP pump, H400FD pool/spa heater, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump, 280 pressure cleaner, Hayward Super II spa pump and Air Supply Silencer spa blower

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    I remember Navarre getting hit hard a couple times. Your area deserves a break.
    It is feast or famine here. /sigh
    19328 Gallon Above-Ground Pool. Clean&Clear Pentair Cartridge Filter. Opti-flo 2 Stage 1.5hp Pump. Dolphin Nautilus Plus "Flipper" Robot. Established April 2016. Taylor K-2006. Chlorine Based. 340gallon Marquis Spa. Bromine based. Established 2007.