Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Black Algae - New Kid on the block to TFP

1. Back To Top    #1

Black Algae - New Kid on the block to TFP

Folks, I am hoping that some of you out there can help. I am a 2x in ground. pool owner. I have never had black algae in any until my 12th year of this one. I am 90% confident it IS Black Algae as I was able to brush a couple small dots up and smear on paper where it looks like Green Algae. I too have been failed by Pool stores, not to mention wearing my few working arm joints to failure.

Last year I eliminated what I was unsure, was black algae in a small area of my pool using a silver based algaecide (silver algaedyn). In March of this year, I drained pool, Acid washed it, refilled, added recommended dose of CYA from Home Depot bottle (have never tested, and unsure how to without using pool store). In early July, I starting seeing the tiny dots again, same area. They start small, and grow and appear to "bleed" over time. I adjusted PH, Chlorine, and used a single dose of the silver running pump for 72 hrs. Cleared for a while, then returned. Pool store sold me Tri-chlor granules, which I first shocked the pool, then added directly to the Algae which is MOSTLY on floor. Problem cleared. Algae returns a couple weeks later, used another silver dose (No chlorine or tri-chlor as Reading is OFF THE CHARTS from previous shock and dropping on algae spots. Pool store sells me COPPER based Algaecide. Used a single dose (STILL no need for Chlorine adjustment as its still off the charts, used second test kit to eliminate that as a variable). Ran pump for 48 hrs per label instructions. And Brush, brush, brush with SS brush. Cleared for 2 days and is back with a vengeance. Been brushings for 3 days, no better, and just seems to be "Bleeding" more. I am reluctant to give a second dose of the copper....
    Sorry for the rant, wanted to give a full timeline of details.......
    Am new to tfp and still reading volumes here.....
    ANY HELP would be GREATLY appreciated!

Running out of energy and ideas-
    In ground plaster, ~9200 gallons, 1.5hp Whisperflow model WFE-6 pump, Pentaire Clean-N-Clear Plus Model CCP420 Filter- 1 skimmer, 4 returns built in 2003. Just purchased TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Black Algae - New Kid on the block to TFP

Welcome to the forum.

First GREAT idea: Get one of our recommended test kits in Pool School

Second: Read up on how to SLAM your pool there too!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

thanks. A lot of reading and educating to do.
    In ground plaster, ~9200 gallons, 1.5hp Whisperflow model WFE-6 pump, Pentaire Clean-N-Clear Plus Model CCP420 Filter- 1 skimmer, 4 returns built in 2003. Just purchased TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP!!!

The first step is certainly to invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits so you can stop guessing at what the FC level might be.

You then need to stop adding metals to your pool, those are a recipe for future problems.

There is a great article in Pool School on black algae: Pool School - Black Algae

Perhaps you may need to review some of the fundamentals as well:
    ABCs of Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ah, a fellow Arizonan......Yep, amazing that I have been able to (Fairly) successfully maintain 2 pools over a period of 23 years in such ignorant bliss. Have spent all day educating myself on this site....Lots more to go....I did read thru that article 2x, and am a bit confused as 1st response from Woodyp suggested Slamming my pool, however the article states to keep FC between hi norm and SLAM levels. It doesn't state to invoke a SLAM. UR thoughts?

6. Back To Top    #6

I think the key is brushing while the FC is elevated. SLAM level level FC would certainly speed up the eradication and still safe to swim in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Not sure if I should have started a new thread......But I have a kit in transit to test CYA, FC, etc. I have been binge reading/educating on the TFP philosophy. It makes basic (no pun) sense, but I have a "basic" Q......this method requires testing and Adding bleach daily to keep this working correctly.....I guess that's why so many of us use the puck and go philosophy......What do you folks do when you want to leave town for a 3 or 4 day weekend? I would normally add 4 pucks in a floater and leave.

8. Back To Top    #8

That is what we do but we don't use pucks on a regular basis and keep the CYA low enough to be able to use pucks occasionally.
    True L 45,000 gal Hayward IG vinyl pool. Hayward Tristar 2.40 THP; 1.5 FRHP/1.60 SF. Hayward Model # S310T2 Sand Filter. Aqua Rite T-15. Aqua Comfort 154,000 BTU Heat Pump. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

You won't need to add liquid chlorine daily, depending on how much you add at a time, when you aren't SLAMing the pool. As long as you maintain the proper CYA level you can use pucks when you go away still. Using pucks is only frowned upon because they add CYA to the water and having too much is not good.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ned8377 View Post
    That is what we do but we don't use pucks on a regular basis and keep the CYA low enough to be able to use pucks occasionally.
    Ah......Makes sense. Thanks.

11. Back To Top    #11

Jason, As I am preparing to stock up on bleach to convert to TFP, and since you live in a similar climate as me, can you tell me (Once water is balanced) about how much bleach is required on a weekly or monthly basis for maintenance? I am looking at bleach at 4.00/gallon, and I usually go thru about 20-30 lbs. of pucks a year at a cost of about 40-60.00 per year. Seems like bleach will be substantially higher? Hope you are having a great labor day weekend.
    Bob

12. Back To Top    #12

You need to shop for bleach. That is way too expensive. Check HASA dealers.

You need to add 2-4ppm of FC daily. Pool Math can tell you hour much bleach that is daily.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Jason, I contacted 2, HASA dealers her in the Phx area. Both charge about 4.00 per gallon for liquid chlorine, 10% strength. When you say "that's way too expensive", how much are you paying for it and where are you buying it?
    Thanks,
    Bob

14. Back To Top    #14

I was getting a gallon of 10%at Walmart for $2.50, but that is gone now. I think their 8.25% is still a better deal than $4 for a gallon of 10%. I thought the bulk refillable sellers were cheaper than $4.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Jason, FYI, walmarts in the Phx area are still selling 10%, but the price is 2.94/gallon.