Water change and algae treatment

Aug 31, 2016
Nicosia
my greetings

I have discovered this fantastic forum/side as most of the people here after running into some trouble.
And as with most people the trouble in none other than algae!

having read most of the pool school I have gone out and purchased the suggested test kit.
I have also identified a good source of 12% liquid chlorine which is now my only chemical (other than the ph- I use when needed)

Having performed my first set of proper tests I have discovered that my CYA is well above 100 (closer to 200).
I will dilute a sample 4 times just to see if I can get an approximation of the real value.

My intention is to do a water change.
My pool is finished with beadcrete so I have been advised to wait for the water change until the weather becomes cooler.
I have also been adviced not to expose beadcrete to sun with no water in the pool, so I will run the process during late afternoon.

My question is as follows:
Should I do a partial water change (say 80%, or whatever I get from pool maths) so as to arrive at the desired CYA. Since my algae problem is not gone I will then have to follow the instructions for a proper shock treatment (as documented in pool school) which should solve my problem. Or ???
Should I do a full water change and then add some dichlor (just enough to get to the desired CYA) instead??

Will the full water change help me get rid of my algae problem??
Are there any other pros and cons associated with a full water change rather than a partial (and vice versa) ??

I have been keeping my FC pretty high and been scraping the pool pretty often so the algae is there but not complety out control (the issue becomes visible after 3-4 days).

Cost of a full water change will not be very different to a partial water change

I know nothing of "beadcrete". Therefore I would advise you to do 1/3 drains and refill and retest in between each one. You certainly don't need any more dichlor to increase your CYA level. Water changes, which will lower your CYA, WILL help you in using tons less bleach or liquid chlorine than you would have to now and speed the process. See the chlorine/cya chart in Pool School to get your SLAM level of FC for what you get your cya down to. Welcome.

Many thanks for the swift response !!!

I guess as should have put my question differently, will a complete water change (with an immediate refill) eliminate algae??
Are there any other pros and cons associated with a full water change rather than a partial (and vice versa) ??

If full change does not eliminate algae, then I will proceed with one big partial change as I will be using a truck (water tank to refill my pool).
I will select a water change % to reduce my CYA to around 30 using pool maths.
I will then proceed with the SLAM process.

Generally, you just need to empty out enough to reach the desired CYA level. I don't believe a full drain entirely rids the pool of algae, unless you wash it down, etc. you would still need to SLAM to get rid of any residual algae.

If you could please fill out your signature Pool School - Getting Started it will help us know more about your specific pool.

George, a couple of questions for you if i can?
i am in Larnaca and was wondering where you sourced the test kit and liquid chlorine? i'm using calhypo at the moment to keep my cya down but obviously raising my calcium at the same time. you can pm me if its possible through the site.
Cheers, Mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.