1st Time Closing - What about the Main Drain?

Aug 24, 2016
HICKSVILLE, NY
I bought a Cyclone Blower to do my own closing. My pool has an 8 foot deep end with a Main Drain. I’ve pretty much figured out how to blow the skimmer and return lines. Once I’ve blown those lines and plugged my skimmers and returns, that will leave me with a nice little geyser coming up from my drain…. What then? I can’t plug my drain like I can with the skimmers.

Stealing this thread, as I am in the same boat... will be the first time i try to close it...

I am contemplating between air compressor or Shop Vac... What kind of fitting do you use for a Air compressor. may try both, but i have little nozzles for it, and a 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe to blow out? Shop vac will fit it, but some say that may not be enough power?

Stealing this thread, as I am in the same boat... will be the first time i try to close it...

I am contemplating between air compressor or Shop Vac... What kind of fitting do you use for a Air compressor. may try both, but i have little nozzles for it, and a 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe to blow out? Shop vac will fit it, but some say that may not be enough power?

You need the standard air fitting with 3/8 threads. It's the same threads as the drain screws on your pump and I bet on your sand filter. I second the compressor, the shop vac may struggle with the main drain.

I got that, but the hole on the end of it is tiny with the handle to push to let the air out... but does it work?... or does it need to be open ended 3/8 inch hole so it blows more air?

The attachment that screws into the pump is 3/8 and the other end is smaller in diameter. Then the fitting that's on your air hose snaps onto the fitting you screwed into the pump. Clear as mud? Same principle as an air hose at a gas station.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got those parts as well as the hand held blower thing. I am good to go :) of course my pump is hard plumbed to the pipes... so i will be blowing through that...

Your shop vac would probably blow the skimmers, may even do a better job than a compressor due to it has more volume. But I bet you would need the compressor to do the main drain. You could use both and see what works best for you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.