Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 1st Time Closing - What about the Main Drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

1st Time Closing - What about the Main Drain?

I bought a Cyclone Blower to do my own closing. My pool has an 8 foot deep end with a Main Drain. Iíve pretty much figured out how to blow the skimmer and return lines. Once Iíve blown those lines and plugged my skimmers and returns, that will leave me with a nice little geyser coming up from my drainÖ. What then? I canít plug my drain like I can with the skimmers.
    28,000 gallons, 18x36, vinyl liner
    Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater,
    Stenner 45mhp10 Peristaltic Pump (for bleach injection)
    2 skimmers, 2 returns, main drain, Lamotte ColorQ and TF-100 test kits

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 1st Time Closing - What about the Main Drain?

You close the main drain valve while air is still coming out, and it airlocks the pipe.
    Mark
    20'x28' IG, Vinyl, (Sept 2015) 14,900 Gallon, 3'4 to 5'6 deep, SPLAPOOL 1.5 HP, 220v, 2 speed pump, Waterway Carefree 27" 400 LB Sand filter, Digital Nano plus SWG, TF-100 test kit /speed stir. Dolphin Primal x3 robotic cleaner

3. Back To Top    #3

Should I make any attempt to get anti-freeze in there?
    28,000 gallons, 18x36, vinyl liner
    Hayward C4030 Cartridge Filter, Hayward TriStar VS 900 Pump, Raypak 400 BTU gas heater,
    Stenner 45mhp10 Peristaltic Pump (for bleach injection)
    2 skimmers, 2 returns, main drain, Lamotte ColorQ and TF-100 test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Tomolena View Post
    Should I make any attempt to get anti-freeze in there?
    You don't need any AF in the main drain line. You will get most of the water out when you blow the line and any left will be so far below frost line it wouldn't freeze anyway.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

5. Back To Top    #5

Stealing this thread, as I am in the same boat... will be the first time i try to close it...

I am contemplating between air compressor or Shop Vac... What kind of fitting do you use for a Air compressor. may try both, but i have little nozzles for it, and a 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe to blow out? Shop vac will fit it, but some say that may not be enough power?
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Puppiesonacid View Post
    Stealing this thread, as I am in the same boat... will be the first time i try to close it...

I am contemplating between air compressor or Shop Vac... What kind of fitting do you use for a Air compressor. may try both, but i have little nozzles for it, and a 1 1/2 inch pvc pipe to blow out? Shop vac will fit it, but some say that may not be enough power?
    You need the standard air fitting with 3/8 threads. It's the same threads as the drain screws on your pump and I bet on your sand filter. I second the compressor, the shop vac may struggle with the main drain.

7. Back To Top    #7

I got that, but the hole on the end of it is tiny with the handle to push to let the air out... but does it work?... or does it need to be open ended 3/8 inch hole so it blows more air?
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

I got that, but the hole on the end of it is tiny with the handle to push to let the air out... but does it work?... or does it need to be open ended 3/8 inch hole so it blows more air?
    The attachment that screws into the pump is 3/8 and the other end is smaller in diameter. Then the fitting that's on your air hose snaps onto the fitting you screwed into the pump. Clear as mud? Same principle as an air hose at a gas station.

9. Back To Top    #9

I add anti-freeze to the main drain line, wouldn't trust the shut off valve to be air tight. You guys may have higher quality valves than are on my pool.
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1162 View Post
    I add anti-freeze to the main drain line, wouldn't trust the shut off valve to be air tight. You guys may have higher quality valves than are on my pool.
    Air lock and expandable rubber plug when the pumps removed does the trick. I don't trust those valves either although I never had a problem with them before.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by samt View Post
    Air lock and expandable rubber plug when the pumps removed does the trick. I don't trust those valves either although I never had a problem with them before.
    I like the idea of the expandable rubber plug. Can you share a link?
    16' x 34' vinyl in ground - 16,500 gal.
    Hayward EC-75 DE filter with Hayward 1hp Super Pump
    TF-100XL Test Kit with SpeedStir

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1162 View Post
    I like the idea of the expandable rubber plug. Can you share a link?
    They come in different diameters at pool store or online.

13. Back To Top    #13

I got those parts as well as the hand held blower thing. I am good to go of course my pump is hard plumbed to the pipes... so i will be blowing through that...

14. Back To Top    #14

I got those parts as well as the hand held blower thing. I am good to go of course my pump is hard plumbed to the pipes... so i will be blowing through that...
    Your shop vac would probably blow the skimmers, may even do a better job than a compressor due to it has more volume. But I bet you would need the compressor to do the main drain. You could use both and see what works best for you.