Intex Saltwater System

Trish

Jun 4, 2009
Madison, Ms
Hi,

I purchased an Intex 18X48 Easy Set Pool (still in the box) and I do not know where to start. I've researched so much on the internet, called local pool stores that I am totally overwhelmed by all of the information. I am very interested in purchasing the Intex Saltwater System. Is it easier and less overwhelming for a 1st time pool owner to use? I am more confused than I was a week ago.

Thanks

Welcome to TFP!

It will help make maintenance easier, but the best investment you can make is a good test kit. Learning how to test your water and maintain it is the key to a troublefree pool. The saltwater generator will only relieve you of the need to manually add chlorine.

IMHO, get a good test kit (either the Taylor K-2006 or the TF-100 ) and learn how to balance and maintain your water, and then if you are still interested, get the SWG. A good place to start learning is Pool School. Click on the "Pool School" button at the top right of the page, and start reading and asking questions.

HI Trish! :wave:
Welcome to TFP!
Take a deep breath and relax, we are here to help you over the initial confusion. First step is to click on the pool school link at the right hand corner of each page (and in my sig) and read EVERYTHING in it.
Then read everything second time.
It should all start falling into place and anything you don't understand just post and we will explain it to you. Remember, the only stupid question is the one that is not asked!
A SWG does make pool maintenance much easier, IMHO. (Then again, I am prejudiced because I have one on my pool!)
As Budster pointed out the INTEX SWG would be a very good match for your INTEX pool and will work with the least amount of installation problems since they are 'matched'.
As FPM pointed out, you need a GOOD test kit and we have narrowed it down to a very small selection based on usability, cost, and reliability. We have a lot of collective experience in this so if you follow our suggestions you will not regret it or get a costly kit that does not do what you need it to do! If you want the nuts and bolts explanations as to why then just ask or your can just take our word for it. Remember, we don't have a hidden agenda to try and sell you products like the pool store. Our only agenda is to help eveyone that joins have a 'trouble free pool'! :party:
Just remember, we are here and can hold your hand until you get your feet wet (pun intended!)

Thank you for your help.

I am going to order the saltwater system and the TF100 test kit today.

Do you know where the best place is to order the saltwater system? It is alot cheaper on Walmart.com than the Intex site but I don't want to sacrifice customer service help if I need it later. Also, is there just one model that is a stand alone generator (I don't need the combo)?

Hi there.

Intex has to warranty the unit whether you bought it thru them or not. Also as far as ease of returns go I think Wal-mart is very fair, same with Amazon. Hopefully you won't have a return OR warranty issue. :wink:

Enjoy your Trouble-Free pool!

In anticipation of my Saltwater Generator arriving this week I went shopping for "pool salt" today... I went to 2 Walmarts, Home Depot and Lowe's and nobody had the recommended Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags or ANY pool salt for that matter.

However, I went to Leslie's Pool and they had "Leslie's Pool Salt Step 5 Enhancer High Purity Salt For Chorine Generators" and Bob's Pool had "Aqua Salt High Purity Salt For Chlorine Generators Food Quality".

Are either of the above salts ok to use or am i going to have to order my salt on the internet too?

Thanks!

Trish said:
In anticipation of my Saltwater Generator arriving this week I went shopping for "pool salt" today... I went to 2 Walmarts, Home Depot and Lowe's and nobody had the recommended Diamond Crystal® Solar Salt Extra Coarse Crystals in blue bags, Morton® White Crystal® Water Softener Salt in blue bags, or Diamond Crystal® Sun Gems® Crystals Water Softener Salt in yellow bags or ANY pool salt for that matter.

However, I went to Leslie's Pool and they had "Leslie's Pool Salt Step 5 Enhancer High Purity Salt For Chorine Generators" and Bob's Pool had "Aqua Salt High Purity Salt For Chlorine Generators Food Quality".

Are either of the above salts ok to use or am i going to have to order my salt on the internet too?

Thanks!
You can use the pellets. They take about 15 minutes longer to dissolve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You won't find the 'recommended' salts in the pool section since they are not 'pool salts'. You will find them by the water softeners. They are water softener salt. I have even seen them for sale in grocery stores (and have seen Morton pool salt in the grocery also!). Only difference between pool salt and solar salt besides the price is the size of the crystals so pool salt might dissolve about 5-10 minutes faster.
Stay away from the SWG salt mixes that contain CYA and possibly borates. It's much cheaper and easier to control when these are added separately when needed!

We are going to try and get the pool up and going next weekend. Does anybody have any advice on what we need to do and when?

My plan is to set the pool up, fill it with water, test it with my TF100, add the salt, turn on the filter and the salt generator and let it run... Can you help me with my timeline? Did I read somewhere to let the salt dissolve for 24hrs before turning on the filter/salt generator? I am planning to use the "Aqua Salt" Pool Salt in the absence of being able to find anything else locally.

1,) Do I need to have the 3 B's on hand before I start? (Baking Soda, Borax and Bleach)

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

You do want to balance you chemical levels, see Water Balance for SWGs.

You also want to give the salt 24 hours to completely mix in.

You don't specially need the three Bs, just a way to balance your water. Pool store chemicals will do that if you already have them. If you don't then there are cheaper alternatives for most of them, for example the three Bs.

JasonLion said:
You do want to balance you chemical levels, see Water Balance for SWGs.

You also want to give the salt 24 hours to completely mix in.

You don't specially need the three Bs, just a way to balance your water. Pool store chemicals will do that if you already have them. If you don't then there are cheaper alternatives for most of them, for example the three Bs.

Thanks Jason

Do I have to wait 24 hours to turn the filter on or just the saltwater generator?

We have not purchased any pool chemicals (this will be our 1st pool)

Don't forget to get Stabilizer (Cyanuric Acid, also called CYA.) You'll want to add enough to get to ~70-80 ppm. It takes a couple of days to get dissolved. I got mine at Wal-mart for half of the price that Leslie's wanted. Enjoy your pool!!!

Trish,

One other item that you might want to consider - extra filters for your pump. The Intex filters are undersized and have to be changed pretty regularly. Back when I had my Intex pool, I didn't know this, went to buy some extras, and couldn't find them because everyone else with an Intex pool had already cleaned Wallyworld out. I ended up driving 40 miles to another town to get some.

MikeInTN said:
Trish,

One other item that you might want to consider - extra filters for your pump. The Intex filters are undersized and have to be changed pretty regularly. Back when I had my Intex pool, I didn't know this, went to buy some extras, and couldn't find them because everyone else with an Intex pool had already cleaned Wallyworld out. I ended up driving 40 miles to another town to get some.

Mike,

I appreciate the advice on the filters, I will definitely stock up.

I'm still not warm and fuzzy about what I need to have on hand to balance my water for my SWG at startup. Is the BBB enough to have on hand OR do I need to go to the pool store and purchase some supplies...The nearest pool store is about 20 minutes away and I am not usually in the area so it will have to be a special trip. I am trying to be prepared.

Oh yeah, what is "Cyanuric Acid? Is there a name brand at the pool store I can look for?

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.