Intex Saltwater System

I hate it when my husband is right! LOL

The salt read 2400ppm approx 15hours after we added it. Do we need to go ahead and add more salt or wait and check it again this evening? We really want to start the Saltwater Generator tonight...I am on vacation this week and would love to swim tomorrow!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We ran the saltwater generator last night for 6 hours and these are my test results this morning. It did rain in the pool yesterday..hasn't rained here in OVER 20 days and it rained when the pool wasn't covered! Is it safe to swim today?

FC 4.5
CC .5
TC 5.0
TA 200
CH 30
CYA Did not test...just added stabilizer yesterday afternoon

Thanks!!!

If your pH is in range (7.2-7.8) then yes. Since you have no CYA (it takes up to a week for it to dissolve) test your FC during the day and add bleach if it drops below 3 ppm to bring it up to about 5 ppm and you should be golden.

Thanks Waterbear!!!

My hubby turned the filter off before he left for work this morning! He'll be home at lunch...Can you give me an idea of how much bleach to add (if it drops) and do I need to turn the filter back on, for how long? We added 23oz of bleach yesterday...

Trish said:
...Can you give me an idea of how much bleach to add (if it drops) and do I need to turn the filter back on, for how long? We added 23oz of bleach yesterday...

Test your water, plug your numbers into Jason's calculator (link in my sig) and add the mount of bleach to bring it up to 5ppm!

ETA: Oh, ,make sure you turn your filter on before adding the bleach!

Refer to the CYA Chart. When the SWG is operational, you target your FC levels for your CYA according to the SWG section. When the SWG isn't working, and you are using bleach, you use the Non-SWG section and it's slightly-higher levels. So if you normally use the SWG and run at 3-5, if it suddenly stops working and you have use bleach, you would go with 5 as your min and 8 as your target. Hope that makes sense?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks to Trouble Free Pool we had a GREAT day swimming in the pool! :party:

I just did a drop chlorine test and according to the pool calc I need to add 34oz of bleach, we just started the filter pump...

How long after I add bleach can we swim?

FC 2
CC 0
TC 2

You can swim. :wink: :goodjob:

From reading other posts - the SWG is a real producer. You may be able to run the SWG unit for only 1 hour and get "enough" FC production for your pool. Reduce the run time to 3 hours and see what that does for you tonight.

Its been 6 days since we filled the pool so I decided to do a full set of tests to see how we were looking... I'm worried about the TA and the chlorine being too high (chlorine should be in 3-5 range?)...

Any help would be appreciated...We are having a pool party tomorrow and I want the pool to be purrfect!

FC 8
CC .5 or less (really really light pink, added one drop turned back clear)
PH 7.2-7.5 (a little darker than 7.2 and little lighter than 7.5)
TA 230
CH 40
CYA 50

For a pool party, and the extra swimmers, having the FC a little high is actually a good idea. So I think you're fine. As for normal use, try cutting back some more on the SWG run time. Reduce it a little every day till you find the ideal setting. :wink:

The high TA is nothing to worry about. 2 things:

Retest the TA- and this time wipe the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth/paper towel, in between drops. If this changes the results, let us know.

High TA simply causes the PH to drift up. Whenever you see PH at 7.8 or higher, simply use acid to lower the PH down to 7.2. The acid additions will also lower TA slowly. So overtime, the TA will fall into range. It is nothing to worry about right now, as I said, just monitor the PH and adjust as necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.