Best Sanitation Option for Weekend Home?

Cmh126

Aug 31, 2016
Seaside Heights, NJ
Hello! I am installing an AGP at a second home, possibly a 10x18 Aquasport 52 semi buried. I need a sanitation system that can be unattended every Monday through Friday afternoon. Pool store is pushing a Frog, which I know to be a total waste of money. I'd love to avoid the cost of a SWG. Could I get away with an inline chlorinator even though I know about the undesirable CYA levels it will produce? Other suggestions for pool maintenance for a weekend home? Thank you!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I came in to recommend a SWG ... then read the post :(

Given the location with rain and short season, you might be able to get away with using trichlor tablets. Just test every weekend to keep an eye on the CYA.

The other option is a liquid chlorine dosing system, that cost is probably between the chlorinator and SWG.

Will the pool be covered during the week?

I'd go for the SWG myself... but since you'd like to avoid that the pucks will have to be it- with the full knowledge that your CYA will eventually get unmanageable and require draining and refilling somewhat. In your area that might not be so hard to do since you do close pools down. Perhaps allowing the pool to collect rain water at times?

You're right to avoid that darn Frog...bad news all around. Ugh.

When I go on a weeks vacation, I raise my pool to SLAM levels, add a puck in a floater, and leave to solar cover on. That holds my pool for a week. When I come home, the pool CL is still acceptable (and there is usually still a half a puck left).

You MAY be able to get away with raising your CL level every weekend before you leave, but you are going to go through bleach, and you may cause premature bleaching of your liner. If you downt want a SWG, then I would say an automatic liquid chlorine feeder.

I agree with the others, first choice would be SWG, second choice would be testing and adjusting your target FC for your ever changing CYA each weekend.

p.s. as to cost with a small pool like that you could get away with something like the dip in Saltron Retro for about $200 (plus a couple of sacks of salt)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.