Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Best Sanitation Option for Weekend Home?

1. Back To Top    #1

Best Sanitation Option for Weekend Home?

Hello! I am installing an AGP at a second home, possibly a 10x18 Aquasport 52 semi buried. I need a sanitation system that can be unattended every Monday through Friday afternoon. Pool store is pushing a Frog, which I know to be a total waste of money. I'd love to avoid the cost of a SWG. Could I get away with an inline chlorinator even though I know about the undesirable CYA levels it will produce? Other suggestions for pool maintenance for a weekend home? Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Best Sanitation Option for Weekend Home?

Welcome to TFP!!!

I came in to recommend a SWG ... then read the post

Given the location with rain and short season, you might be able to get away with using trichlor tablets. Just test every weekend to keep an eye on the CYA.

The other option is a liquid chlorine dosing system, that cost is probably between the chlorinator and SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Will the pool be covered during the week?

I'd go for the SWG myself... but since you'd like to avoid that the pucks will have to be it- with the full knowledge that your CYA will eventually get unmanageable and require draining and refilling somewhat. In your area that might not be so hard to do since you do close pools down. Perhaps allowing the pool to collect rain water at times?

You're right to avoid that darn Frog...bad news all around. Ugh.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

4. Back To Top    #4

Suck it up and go with the SWG. The overall cost will be the same over the course of a few years and it is the perfect answer for your needs.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

5. Back To Top    #5

When I go on a weeks vacation, I raise my pool to SLAM levels, add a puck in a floater, and leave to solar cover on. That holds my pool for a week. When I come home, the pool CL is still acceptable (and there is usually still a half a puck left).

You MAY be able to get away with raising your CL level every weekend before you leave, but you are going to go through bleach, and you may cause premature bleaching of your liner. If you downt want a SWG, then I would say an automatic liquid chlorine feeder.
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

6. Back To Top    #6

A Stenner pump dispensing liquid chlorine could be a viable option for you.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

You might be able to do pucks if you plan to dump quite a bit of water each year when you winterize. Living it NJ, that could be a possibility.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

I agree with the others, first choice would be SWG, second choice would be testing and adjusting your target FC for your ever changing CYA each weekend.

p.s. as to cost with a small pool like that you could get away with something like the dip in Saltron Retro for about $200 (plus a couple of sacks of salt)
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you everyone for the advice! Looks like SWG is the consensus, haha. I appreciate the Saltron recommendation. Any other great "bang for my buck" SWG units for a smaller pool like this?