Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Aquapure 1400 General Fault 121

1. Back To Top    #1

Aquapure 1400 General Fault 121

My Aquapure 1400 system is displaying a General Fault message with error code of 121. A week ago, it showed error message 120. But after I cleaned the cell, the message went away. With the power cable disconnected from the cell I measured 16.2 volts DC. I suspected that I might have to replace the back circuit board. I would really appreciate any observation and comment on this situation. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Aquapure 1400 General Fault 121

Typically a cell problem. Get the salt up to about 3400, check the power cord connections and check the cell for scaling.

How old is the cell?

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    Typically a cell problem. Get the salt up to about 3400, check the power cord connections and check the cell for scaling.

How old is the cell?
    Thanks for the reply. Cell is two years old. It was cleaned with Muriatic acid a week ago. Salt is 3600. With the power cable disconnected from cell, the voltage across the terminals of the cable was measured at 16v.

4. Back To Top    #4

Can't really tell unless voltage and current is measured while producing. See what that shows.

5. Back To Top    #5

Can't really tell unless voltage and current is measured while producing. See what that shows.
    Thanks.

Voltages measured a few minutes ago ( 11 am EST ) are as follows:

1. With power cable connected to cell : 33v between cell terminals 1 ( outside left ) and 2 ( middle ). 32 v between terminal 2 and 3.

2. With power cable disconnected from the cell: 4.4v between 1 and 2, 3.6v between 2 and 3.

3. Voltages at the disconnected cable: 11.5 between 1 and 2, 11.5v between 2 and 3.

6. Back To Top    #6

33 volts usually means that the system has maxed out the voltage in an attempt to get sufficient current. Check amps going to cell. Get a multimeter that can do 10 amps passthrough and put it inline with one leg. Disconnect one leg where the power cord connects to the power supply. The current will pass through the meter. Make sure that the meter is configured properly or things will be damaged.

7. Back To Top    #7

33 volts usually means that the system has maxed out the voltage in an attempt to get sufficient current. Check amps going to cell. Get a multimeter that can do 10 amps passthrough and put it inline with one leg. Disconnect one leg where the power cord connects to the power supply. The current will pass through the meter. Make sure that the meter is configured properly or things will be damaged.
    Thanks, JamesW.

Couldn't measure current until this PM due to bad weather. I measured the current going through the cell by using the procedure given in the AquaPure manual: by measuring the voltage across terminals K & H on the front board. Voltage measured fluctuated wildly between 37 mV and -1.1 mV. Since 20 mV equals 1 amp., thus, the current going through the cell fluctuated between 1.85 and -0.55 amp.

8. Back To Top    #8

Maybe bad prongs. If the cell is under warranty, file a warranty claim. If not, you can remove the prong cover and see if the prongs are loose.

9. Back To Top    #9

Maybe bad prongs. If the cell is under warranty, file a warranty claim. If not, you can remove the prong cover and see if the prongs are loose.
    Checked the 3 prongs on the cell. They are tight.

10. Back To Top    #10

Look in the cell at the plates to see if they are eroded. Look at the center plate very carefully with a good light.

11. Back To Top    #11

Look in the cell at the plates to see if they are eroded. Look at the center plate very carefully with a good light.
    Thanks JamesW. I looked at the plates very carefully. They are clean and not eroded.

12. Back To Top    #12

If you're getting voltage to the cell but low current, it's probably a bad cell.

13. Back To Top    #13

If you're getting voltage to the cell but low current, it's probably a bad cell.
    Thanks, JamesW for all the help.

14. Back To Top    #14

JamesW,

Just want say thank you again for your help. Your diagnosis was correct. It was the cell. I put in a new PLC 1400 yesterday. The error message went away after that. It was an expensive fix. My cell was only 2.5 years old.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by lcchan View Post
    JamesW,

Just want say thank you again for your help. Your diagnosis was correct. It was the cell. I put in a new PLC 1400 yesterday. The error message went away after that. It was an expensive fix. My cell was only 2.5 years old.
    Did you check to see if it was under warranty, the cell should have been covered for 3 years.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Did you check to see if it was under warranty, the cell should have been covered for 3 years.
    The cells only have a 1-year warranty. Even my new one.

17. Back To Top    #17

Just looked it up and you're right. It seems all the manufacturers are switching their warranties to shorter terms and/or require "professional installation".

I've personally never had any salt system last through its warranty period yet, but they have all replaced the cell for no charge.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

18. Back To Top    #18

If you have the old cell, remove the two screws that hold the plate that seals the prongs and pry off the cover plate.

Also, look carefully at the titanium plates with a flashlight to see if they are damaged.

It won't matter now that you have a new cell but I'm interested in how these cells fail.

It's probably going to be one of the above things.