Dirt in bottom of pool - how to remove?

Apr 2, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
I live in Arizona and we have dust storms pretty frequently in the summer which leaves a nice layer of dirt on the bottom of my pool. I try brushing as much as I can to my main drain, and the in-floor pop outs do an OK job of moving some of it along, but there can be significant buildup of the dirt. I purchased this vacuum recently and gave it a try:

Amazon.com : Swimline 8150 Weighted Flex Vacuum Head, Blue : Swimming Pool Vacuum Heads : Patio, Lawn Garden

I have two skimmers. I closed off one skimmer, and hooked up my hose and vacuum to the other. The vacuum was able to remove a few leaves from the bottom of the pool, but didnt make the dirt budge.

Any suggestions for how I can get rid of this dirt? Is the vacuum I purchased not great? Is it operator error?

Thanks!

Robots are a fantastic tool to help keep your pool clean. Among the most highly rated ones by Maytronics including the Dolphin S300i. They are not cheap but would do a great job of keeping your dust at bay.

I use basically the same type of manual vacuum. When mine is on, there is a very strong suction. So much in-fact that the head tries to stick to the bottom of the pool. It's quite strong. Is yours that way? If you put your hand on the bottom of the vacuum head does it stick hard or do you barely feel the suction? While vacuuming, you have the pump on a higher RPM correct? Also, before attaching the end of the vacuum hose to your skimmer opening, did you allow the water to fill the vacuum line so you don't lose prime? I usually hold the vacuum head end of the hose against a return jet and let it fill the hose completely before connecting everything.

Thank you for the replies.

I would rather not have to spring the money for a robot vacuum, as I wouldn't use it super frequently, but it is an option I will consider.

The suction from the hose feels quite strong, but when I attach it to the vacuum and put it on the bottom of the pool, it doesn't stick hard. In fact, i have to move very very slowly and carefully over leaves if i want them to be sucked up.

I do have the RPM cranked up, and i did allow the water to fill the vacuum line before connecting. I feel like the vacuum itself just isn't making a solid connection with the bottom of the pool.

Does anyone else have success removing dirt from the bottom of the pool with a vacuum? Are robots the best option for this?

I use a Kreepy Krauly - works amazingly and I don't have to muck with it. :)

I get a reddish dirt that builds up myself, it's a real pain. I'd have a clear pool that would get fairly cloudy when people were in there stirring it all up (you could see it come up in clouds when brushing). The Kreepy took care of it all. I'd rather leave it in and let it run with the pump every day and buy a new one sooner than take it in/out.

I have something similar and it works a treat on high with a ~1hp pump although I do need to go slow over big leaves that are arround a foot long. It sounds like you have low suction through it. You've blocked off on of the skimmers but how about the main drain, are you sharing suction through the main drain and if so can you turn off the main drain when you vacuum?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.