Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dirt in bottom of pool - how to remove?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dirt in bottom of pool - how to remove?

I live in Arizona and we have dust storms pretty frequently in the summer which leaves a nice layer of dirt on the bottom of my pool. I try brushing as much as I can to my main drain, and the in-floor pop outs do an OK job of moving some of it along, but there can be significant buildup of the dirt. I purchased this vacuum recently and gave it a try:

Amazon.com : Swimline 8150 Weighted Flex Vacuum Head, Blue : Swimming Pool Vacuum Heads : Patio, Lawn Garden

I have two skimmers. I closed off one skimmer, and hooked up my hose and vacuum to the other. The vacuum was able to remove a few leaves from the bottom of the pool, but didnt make the dirt budge.

Any suggestions for how I can get rid of this dirt? Is the vacuum I purchased not great? Is it operator error?

Thanks!
    Phoenix, AZ | 30,000 Gallon Pebble-tec pool + attached spa | Hayward cartridge filter | Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump | In-ground pop-outs | Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Dirt in bottom of pool - how to remove?

Robots are a fantastic tool to help keep your pool clean. Among the most highly rated ones by Maytronics including the Dolphin S300i. They are not cheap but would do a great job of keeping your dust at bay.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I use basically the same type of manual vacuum. When mine is on, there is a very strong suction. So much in-fact that the head tries to stick to the bottom of the pool. It's quite strong. Is yours that way? If you put your hand on the bottom of the vacuum head does it stick hard or do you barely feel the suction? While vacuuming, you have the pump on a higher RPM correct? Also, before attaching the end of the vacuum hose to your skimmer opening, did you allow the water to fill the vacuum line so you don't lose prime? I usually hold the vacuum head end of the hose against a return jet and let it fill the hose completely before connecting everything.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you for the replies.

I would rather not have to spring the money for a robot vacuum, as I wouldn't use it super frequently, but it is an option I will consider.

The suction from the hose feels quite strong, but when I attach it to the vacuum and put it on the bottom of the pool, it doesn't stick hard. In fact, i have to move very very slowly and carefully over leaves if i want them to be sucked up.

I do have the RPM cranked up, and i did allow the water to fill the vacuum line before connecting. I feel like the vacuum itself just isn't making a solid connection with the bottom of the pool.

Does anyone else have success removing dirt from the bottom of the pool with a vacuum? Are robots the best option for this?
    Phoenix, AZ | 30,000 Gallon Pebble-tec pool + attached spa | Hayward cartridge filter | Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump | In-ground pop-outs | Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

How about a hayward navigator suction cleaner?

I know robots are awesome, but I just can't justify the high purchase price...yet
    16x32 IG Vinyl, 13,000 Gals. Hayward S-244T sand filter, SP2810X15 pump
    (1.5 HP motor) Raypak PR266AEN (266k btu) gas heater. TF-100 Test Kit.
    Dolphin E10 Cleaning Robot.

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I use a Kreepy Krauly - works amazingly and I don't have to muck with it.

I get a reddish dirt that builds up myself, it's a real pain. I'd have a clear pool that would get fairly cloudy when people were in there stirring it all up (you could see it come up in clouds when brushing). The Kreepy took care of it all. I'd rather leave it in and let it run with the pump every day and buy a new one sooner than take it in/out.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

7. Back To Top    #7

I have something similar and it works a treat on high with a ~1hp pump although I do need to go slow over big leaves that are arround a foot long. It sounds like you have low suction through it. You've blocked off on of the skimmers but how about the main drain, are you sharing suction through the main drain and if so can you turn off the main drain when you vacuum?
    Steve.
    30,000L (8,000g) Pebblecrete | Davey 3sp Eco pump | Poolrite sand filter & SWCG |
    Waterco solar panels & Astral E140 pump| K2006, CCL reagents, BlueDevil pH, Salt meter & K1766 | Town water - pH 7.2, TA 50, CH 60 | Esky full of coldies |