Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering FC & TA

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering FC & TA

Starting next week I'm going to have to take over my pool maintenance from my PB. Since the very beginning my FC (28) has been much higher than the recommended levels. I currently have my salt cell set at 60% (it was at 80% w/ the PB settings) but I lowered it and the FC has come down to 18.5. Should I lower it to maybe 50% and just keep an eye on the FC or should I take immediate action once I can start changing things myself? Test results from today:

FC 18.5
    CC 0
    PH 7.8
    CH 375
    TA 160 (from what I've read I would need to lower PH to get this down to recommend of 60-80, but will that take the PH out of its recommended range?)
    CYA 70
    Salt 3000
    My Journey - 16x38 In-Ground gunite (14k gallons - 3.5-5-4) w/ Crystal Stones Smooth Tropical Isle - OK Flagstone coping - 693sqft spray deck decking - Jandy 580sqft Cartridge Filter - 2hp Jandy E Pump (VS) - Contracted Pool 4/22/16 - TF-100 Test Kit - 7x7 raised spa w/ rolled tile edge - Jandy nicheless LED lights (5) - Aqua Pure Salt Kit - Dolphin s300 robot - Zodiac NG JXI 400k BTU for spa - iAqualink PS8 w/ 4 relays - Jandy LED bubbler

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Lowering FC & TA

Just slowly adjust the % down until you get to the FC level you want to maintain. As far as the pH and TA, yes the pH and TA will go down with the use of MA. Your pH will raise from the SWG and Spa spillover. Just do the pH lowering a little at a time.

Here's a link to the full write up. Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by pabeader View Post
    Just slowly adjust the % down until you get to the FC level you want to maintain. As far as the pH and TA, yes the pH and TA will go down with the use of MA. Your pH will raise from the SWG and Spa spillover. Just do the pH lowering a little at a time.
    Thanks for the quick response! Thanks that's what I was thinking but being new to pool ownership I always want to double check everything.

My Journey - 16x38 In-Ground gunite (14k gallons - 3.5-5-4) w/ Crystal Stones Smooth Tropical Isle - OK Flagstone coping - 693sqft spray deck decking - Jandy 580sqft Cartridge Filter - 2hp Jandy E Pump (VS) - Contracted Pool 4/22/16 - TF-100 Test Kit - 7x7 raised spa w/ rolled tile edge - Jandy nicheless LED lights (5) - Aqua Pure Salt Kit - Dolphin s300 robot - Zodiac NG JXI 400k BTU for spa - iAqualink PS8 w/ 4 relays - Jandy LED bubbler

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Make sure that you use Pool Math and check your CSI. Best to maintain it around 0 if I remember correctly.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

Make sure that you use Pool Math and check your CSI. Best to maintain it around 0 if I remember correctly.
    Based on pool math I'm at .51 and target is .12...but then it says less than -.6 problems for plaster ect and greater than .6 possible problems for all pools. Guess I'm okay for now l. I assume once the TA and FC get in line that gets me closer to the target .12?

6. Back To Top    #6

Hi!

Reminder: pH not accurate when fc is 10 and above.

Intek 18' X 48" AG, filled to 36-42"(slope?), Intek sand filter/pump, Hayward skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by poolfool1961 View Post
    Hi!

Reminder: pH not accurate when fc is 10 and above.

Sent from my X10 using Tapatalk
    Oh well that's good to know. I turned my salt sell down to 10% hoping to start losing some FC. Maybe I should turn it to 0% for a few days?

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

CSI should ideally be -0.3 to 0.3

Nothing wrong with turning off the SWG for a day, just stay on top of your FC so it does not drop below target.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    CSI should ideally be -0.3 to 0.3

Nothing wrong with turning off the SWG for a day, just stay on top of your FC so it does not drop below target.
    Set aquapure to 0%, is that essentially turning it off or is there an actual off button? Had a huge pool party yesterday and still no FC loss today. I suppose this would be fantastic if I was at my target except I'm 4x my target right now. I'll monitor daily to see FC loss, is there an approx amount of FC I should lose per day? If I don't lose any what could be going on?

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

With sun, you should expect to lose around 2-4ppm each day.

11. Back To Top    #11

With sun, you should expect to lose around 2-4ppm each day.
    Thanks, pretty much on the money. 2 days w/ the SWG off we're at FC 10.5

Readings from today:
    FC 10.5
    CC .5
    PH 7.5
    TA 90
    CYA 70

I guess the big question is going to be when I turn the SWG on (assuming tomorrow), I run the pump for about 8hrs a day, what % should I turn the SWG on to?