New Build in Round Rock (Austin), TX - Dig Started

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Holy cow. . . I'm on page 9 of your documented build. Now I'm scared! I'm enjoying(?) the read. I guess. Sort of. Sure is pretty though!

It came out awesome and it was actually done very well. When we look back we laugh and laugh now. Sure yours will go much smoother! Round Rock is a bit easier with permits and inspections.

Oh no!!!! So, yesterday was shotcrete, and I've been "bonding with my pool" as kimkatz would say. Watered late yesterday, and early this morning. Sometime after that, this happened:

Anyone ever seen something like this? For clarity's sake, this is the floor, near the wall, about 4 inches long and 2.5 inches wide (the one on the left). The other one, to the right is smaller, obviously.

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks in advance.

sent from my tricorder using tapatalk.

Breath, it will be alright :hug: I am not sure how/why that happened but I think it will be easy to fix......Call the PB and tell him. Text him the picture. I THINK what they can/will do is put some concrete in those then plaster over it.

I also have a "call" into our resident plaster person to have them take a look and see what they think.

We got ya!

Kim:kim:

No need to worry. Not even close to a significant problem.
They will probably knock those chunks of gunite out with a hammer or shovel, and then the small holes will be filled in with the new plaster coat.

Thanks both. Don't worry, Kim, i emailed the pic to the PB before I posted here! He immediately called me back and said, "I've never seen that." He is no slouch. He built our HOA pool (I'm on the the board) and did a great job (much bigger job). Had to pick him when he was best bid (don't read as cheapest, though was close). But, that kinda freaked me out.

Breathing. . . PB will be here in the morning. With the help of my 10 yo daughter, we still bonded with the pool per schedule.

Thanks for the calming reassurance. Will keep you posted.

sent from my tricorder using tapatalk.

No need to worry. Not even close to a significant problem.
They will probably knock those chunks of gunite out with a hammer or shovel, and then the small holes will be filled in with the new plaster coat.

Yep. That's the case. They knocked out the big chunks. They claim that they must've been semi-set chunks that splashed into the yet-to-be-set floor at the time. I guess it is possible that I didn't see them for the first day.

Coping around pool is 90% complete, save the three pieces which will have a deck jet in them. Spa coping not started. Deck excavation nearly complete. Forms should start going up today or tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That is some awesome fill water! NICE! Did you have fun doing it? I know it took you a while but once you get it down it will only take you a couple of mins.

I did enjoy it. It's kind of amazing, really. I can't figure if chem geek would think it is elementary, or if he is such a geek about it that he still thinks it's cool. But, to me, it was like playing with that chemistry set that I had as a kid. It didn't take that long. But, I did move slowly and deliberately.

The SpeedStir sure made the tests easy, but I didn't use it for chlorine. Any recommendations there? Can I just use the "chlorine only" tube with the same magnetic pill? I understand it will get stained.

Central Texas rain for the weekend. Boooo! More rain delays. The kitchen is really taking shape (pictures soon). Before we get plastered :eek:, the kitchen, the pergola, the fire pit, and the cool deck must be completed. Best case scenario would be plaster sometime next week. We are getting anxious!

You can use the same pill. Just make sure to rinse it real good. The next time you need to order something maybe get a couple of extra pills just in case. I would have a small strainer just for rinsing it to make sure it does not go down the drain.

Getting SO close! That rain is slowing you down for sure. I wish we could have some of your rain. We are way behind on rain here.

The pill will work with the "Chlorine Only" cylinder but not quite as well. The inside diameter of the "Chlorine Only" cylinder is just a little tiny bit larger and the pill doesn't spin as well.

Still, it may suit you just fine and it's harmless to use it.

Time up update the photos:

The raised portion of the new pour is level with the existing porch to house the kitchen so countertops are countertop height from the inside, and bar height from the outside. Seems simple now. But, when I was trying to solve the two-different-heights problem while staring at a blank sheet of paper, was racking my brain.

By far, this is the most expensive trash pit I've ever bought.

Note the tan drains. WRONG COLOR! I've read many times to stay on top of your PB. . . And I have. However, this one. . . ugh. Never mind. . .

NICE progress! LOL on the trash pit :rolleyes:

Love everything about the outdoor kitchen! Is that tile on the front of it?

tan drain??? WHY? Will they be changing it out? I guess no matter how on top of it you are something will slip by if you blink.

NICE progress! LOL on the trash pit :rolleyes:

Love everything about the outdoor kitchen! Is that tile on the front of it?

tan drain??? WHY? Will they be changing it out? I guess no matter how on top of it you are something will slip by if you blink.

Chaning it out would be . . well. . ugly. We are working with manufacturer with ideas on using an epoxy paint to change it. Worse case scenario, it stays. If it is any consolation, when the Antique White Lueder coping is wet, it is tan. Disappointing, though.

That is tile on the front. Kind of a weathered wood look, I suppose. Too cold to grout the past few days. But, tomorrow looks like it will happen. The pergola was built yesterday. Currently, the plan is plaster late this week. I hope that holds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.