Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Draining Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Draining Pool

Good morning all!

I will be having to drain my mother-in-laws pool in the near future and am wondering what my options are considering there is no main drain (or any drain on the bottom of the pool). Will I have to rent a big pump to do this, and if so, how big do I need or what are your suggestions? Is it possible that they just covered the main drain when they put in a new liner a long time ago (~8 years)? Thanks for your advice this site has saved me more than once!
    30,000 gallon IG Vinyl/Hayward S220T Sand Filter with Hayward 1 HP super pump

2. Back To Top    #2
    TFP Guide
    Greenville, SC

Re: Draining Pool

You can use a vacuum hose to siphon the water to a lower area, if available. Other than that, the Big Boxes rent them I believe, I'd go with as large of a capacity as you can.
    35K gallon Krystle Krete (Plaster) - Sand Filter - TF100
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Draining Pool

I rented a submersible pump from Home Depot for about $50 or so to do mine. Don't forget to check local ordinances on where you can send the water you're pumping out!
    12,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    PentAir WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, PentAir CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, PentAir SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D