Did I misread my CYA?

fralo

Aug 25, 2016
Pace/FL
Hey guys, I already have another thread below this one but wanted to ask a separate question to not sidetrack the other one. I just got a Taylor test kit and I think I finally learned last night what I've been doing wrong with the CYA test for the past 2 days.

On my first attempt I poured the mixed solution into the view tube. It filled all the way to the top and I could still see the black dot. BUT I WAS LOOKING AT IT FROM THE SIDE! Of course I could see it! So my newbie self thought my CYA was zero. But after further consideration I thought I could actually see only PART of the black dot so I changed my mind that my CYA was probably in the acceptable 20-40 range.

So last night I decided to try again to see if it really was partially obscured. I got the same results....AGAIN LOOKING AT THE BOTTOM FROM A SIDE VIEW! And then about 2 minutes later I had my "Ohhhh" moment. I should have been looking at it from above, right? So I looked down from the top of the view tube (which was still full) and couldn't see the black dot. Of course, I was wondering if the solution would still give an accurate reading after a few minutes had passed. It couldn't hurt at this point so I shook out just a little bit of the solution and could then see the black dot.

I will probably do another test this evening, although I really hate using up my bottle this quickly after purchasing. Can I trust my own "CYA reverse test", that by pouring out the full tube I can be pretty confident that the black dot would in fact have disappeared at some point along the way if I would have done the test correctly?

Thanks so much for your help.

The best way is to just pour it back into the squirt bottle and do it again. I usually do it 2 or 3 times to get an average.

But to answer your question, yes you probably can use that as a close approximation to what you have. A retest would be best though.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.