Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Very beginning of algae bloom & going out of town

1. Back To Top    #1

Very beginning of algae bloom & going out of town

We let our FC get too low a few days in a row (Saturday & MOnday night), and I noticed that the bleach I added last night at sundown to take me from 1.5 to 7 was already at about 5 around 3 hr after the sun came up. Water still looks beautifully clear, but I'm assuming I'm already headed towards an algae bloom

To make matters worse, we are headed out of town Friday morning for the holiday weekend and won't be home again till Monday afternoon. WE were planning to switch to pucks & our chlorinator until we got back. Do I have any hope of cutting this off at the chase if I start SLAMMING this afternoon/tonight (of course I have friends coming over to swim in about an hour...) and all day tomorrow then switch to the pucks while we're gone?

If this weren't already the worst timing, we're bringing half of my family back with us Monday, so I really REALLY don't want the pool to be out of commission when we get here. What is the fastest way to clear this up??

FC: currently back up to about 7 but falling pretty fast.
    CC: .5
    CYA: 40ish
    TA: 120
    CH: 225
    *Water still looks perfect
    Inherited 30k gal IG gunite black bottom pebble w/ waterfall & attached spa, built 1993ish; Pump: Pentair Intiliflo VS pump; SWCG: Pentair IC60; Filter: Pentair FNS Plus 60 SQFT DE; Heater: Pentair Mastertemp 400,000btu; Robot: Dolphin Nautilus Plus; Waterfall Pump: Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP; Testing: TFTest Kit TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Very beginning of algae bloom & going out of town

You are probably fine. You've got 2 days, get the FC elevated and hold it there. Bring it to SLAM the morning before you go and add the puck floater and you shouldn't have any problems.

e: I'd brush once everyday until you left also.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Very beginning of algae bloom & going out of town

By elevated, do you mean to my SLAM level (which I'm thinking is 16 but I want to check my CYA once more.), or just higher than usual then bump to SLAM level when we leave town? Should I leave my filter run 24/7 once we're gone?

Also, I forgot to include my pH which was 8. I've since lowered it to about 7.4.

Thx!
    Inherited 30k gal IG gunite black bottom pebble w/ waterfall & attached spa, built 1993ish; Pump: Pentair Intiliflo VS pump; SWCG: Pentair IC60; Filter: Pentair FNS Plus 60 SQFT DE; Heater: Pentair Mastertemp 400,000btu; Robot: Dolphin Nautilus Plus; Waterfall Pump: Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP; Testing: TFTest Kit TF-100