Dirt/Debris/Dead Algae Daily

Apr 10, 2016
Lexington, KY
Ok here's the deal. Nearly every day I have an accumulation of dull green to brownish debris on the bottom of my pool. I vacuum it all up and it starts accumulating again. When stirred up it poofs into clouds. The water is otherwise crystal clear. I have been seeing this for at least a month now. I SLAMed the pool early in the summer because I had algae growing in a couple spots. SLAMed it until I passed. I just completed another SLAM last week because I had a green tint to the pool when I took the solar cover off after being out of town for a few days. Again I ran it until I passed OCLT. Since then I have maintained the proper chlorine levels every day. I just can't figure out what could be causing this.

Current test results as of last night
FC=5.5
CC=0
pH=7.8
CYA=40
TA=90

For reference, I just bought the house at the end of April and this is my first pool and I've been using the BBB method the whole time. The previous owner used pool store maintenance to take care of the pool. I plan on deep cleaning the sand filter after this season as I don't think it's ever been done (since 2005 when pool was installed).

Anyone else experiencing something similar and have any thoughts?

Try adding a little DE to your sand filter and see if that helps to filter out these finer particles.

It it makes you feel better, I get that too. Summertime in OK is very windy and dusty, so I always attributed it to dust, as I don't have any other indication of algae in my pool. I used to manually vacuum it up almost every day. I bought a cheap Intex robot earlier this year and I leave it hooked up full time, so it runs any time the pump is on. No more vacuuming, and the floor stays pristine.

Try adding a little DE to your sand filter and see if that helps to filter out these finer particles.

It it makes you feel better, I get that too. Summertime in OK is very windy and dusty, so I always attributed it to dust, as I don't have any other indication of algae in my pool. I used to manually vacuum it up almost every day. I bought a cheap Intex robot earlier this year and I leave it hooked up full time, so it runs any time the pump is on. No more vacuuming, and the floor stays pristine.

Sorry, I forgot to add that I do currently add DE to the filter. But thanks for the reply, it does help to see that I'm not the only one! I'm currently looking for a robot as well to help out with this.

Have you checked behind the pool and stairs for any hidden algae? Might want to keep your FC levels just above target value and never let your FC get to the minimum.

You might also want to clean your solar cover and pool toys which could be reintroducing a large amount of algae.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.