Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing a pool that is below the filter/pump: which way to blow?

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing a pool that is below the filter/pump: which way to blow?

Way too early to actually be doing this, but since this will be my first closing, I want to think ahead. I've read through most of the pool closing thread and didn't see a clear answer to this question. My equipment pad is probably 6-8' above the level of the pool, so it would make sense to blow the water down hill, no? Where is the best place to connect my shop vac blower at the level of the equipment pad? The pump basket? Drain plugs? I have a check valve that could offer access to the skimmer lines and unions in my return lines that I could decouple to insert a blower. Is there an attachment that allows easy insertion of a shop vac hose into a 1.5" PVC line?

Apologies in advance if this is well-worn ground.

Thanks,

Jay
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing a pool that is below the filter/pump: which way to blow?

When you remove the pump just hook it up there. I think with a 35k gal pool that shop vac will not be enough to blow the main drain.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Closing a pool that is below the filter/pump: which way to blow?

Quote Originally Posted by samt View Post
    When you remove the pump just hook it up there. I think with a 35k gal pool that shop vac will not be enough to blow the main drain.
    Thanks. The main drain is plugged anyway, so no blowing that out.
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.