Pool newbie has some installation questions

wiki

Aug 30, 2016
Dayton/Ohio
Our pump went out (not sure what it was but probably a Hayward Super Pump with a GE 1.5HP engine) and with the help of the information in this section, I decided to by a Hayward MaxFlo VS to replace it. Everything looks pretty straight forward, except there isn't much room for cutting and putting new fittings on the 1.5" pvc pipes (see attached pictures) and there are some fittings that I'm not sure about. I suspect that the two cuffs before and after the pump are cheap flow control valves. I'm not sure whether I need them - getting rid of them would free up some space. My pump strainer is pretty precisely at regular water level. I know that, because it overflows when I open it only when the water level in the pool is very high - almost at the top of the pool strainers. So it doesn't seem that I need the valve at the intake. The one between the pump and the filter, on the other hand, may be a good idea to prevent DE from getting into the pump, when I turn the pump off. I've read conflicting opinions on that in this forum. And I'm not even sure whether these grey cuffs are valves - they don't unscrew - I tried to open them. And there may not be enough space for a more decent valve between the pump and the filter. I'd appreciate your input. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5772_small.jpg
    IMG_5772_small.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5775_small.jpg
    IMG_5775_small.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5776_small.jpg
    IMG_5776_small.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5778_small.jpg
    IMG_5778_small.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5777_small.jpg
    IMG_5777_small.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 37
wiki,

If you are taking about the two grey "things", those are unions. They unscrew so that you can remove the pump without having to cut the pipes.

Those unions are designed more for regular plumbing and not pool pumps, which attach directly to the pump and have O-rings.

You don't "need" them, but I would never install a pump without the proper unions, just because it makes it so much easier the next time the pump fails.

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Hi-Temp-Union-Whisperflo-Intelliflo/dp/B00AKMV4K8

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. You were right, I eventually managed to open them. What I don't get about this union business is that they are glued in themselves. So unless my pump would happen to come with just such a union in exactly that place, I'd have to get a new, identical union anyways and glue the half towards the pump onto new piping and screw it together. Seems this would only make sense if the union was directly at the pump and the fittings and positions on the pump were standardized, so that I could screw a new pump into existing plumbing without having to but and glue new plumbing. Or am I missing something here?
Thanks,
wiki

wiki,

If you are taking about the two grey "things", those are unions. They unscrew so that you can remove the pump without having to cut the pipes.

Those unions are designed more for regular plumbing and not pool pumps, which attach directly to the pump and have O-rings.

You don't "need" them, but I would never install a pump without the proper unions, just because it makes it so much easier the next time the pump fails.

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Hi-Temp-Union-Whisperflo-Intelliflo/dp/B00AKMV4K8

Jim R.

wiki,

For me at least, nothing is standardized or ever simple.. :(

The unions are there so that you can take the whole pump assembly out and work on it if necessary. This gives you the ability to work on it in your garage, if you wanted.

When replacing a pump, the original unions would only work if you were replacing one pump with another identical pump.

I've replaced several pumps, on different pools, and have always had to redo the plumbing to make them fit. Sigh!!

Jim R.

Thanks, Jim, yes that makes sense. The maxflo will come with unions on the pump anyways, so I will get rid of the grey ones. I just hope there'll be enough pipe left to get a join in on the intake side. If not, I have no idea what to do. I was looking for the grey unions at Lowes today, but they didn't have them. Sigh.

wiki,

For me at least, nothing is standardized or ever simple.. :(

The unions are there so that you can take the whole pump assembly out and work on it if necessary. This gives you the ability to work on it in your garage, if you wanted.

When replacing a pump, the original unions would only work if you were replacing one pump with another identical pump.

I've replaced several pumps, on different pools, and have always had to redo the plumbing to make them fit. Sigh!!

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.