Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yes I went there times two.

1. Back To Top    #1

Yes I went there times two.

Pool stores, just for the experience.
    My husband went to the first one while I was at the doctors. He thought just for fun ? We should go to the one by our house and compare results.
    Here they are:

FC 6.
    CC. 0.
    TC. 6.
    TA. 80.
    CYA 50.
    Ph. 7.7.
    CH. 40.
    Salt. 3500
    Phosphate 300

FC 6.86
    CC 0
    TC 6.86
    TA 55
    CYA 74
    PH 7.9
    CH 26
    Salt 3100

Mine
    FC 10
    CC 0
    TC 10
    TA 70
    CYA 60 I thought 80 last week
    PH 7.7
    CH 25
    Salt 3200

Not as off the wall as I expected. Store one insisted the phosphates needed to be removed and the CH raised.
    Store two did all manual tests and the guys was sloppy as heck. Then another person took his numbers and said they were trying a new disk and entered his numbers in the computer (I think) and gave me a print out that had different numbers from the manual testing. I didn't understand her explanation at the time. I didn't realize she tossed his results. They insisted I need calcium even in a vinyl pool. That it will leach out of the vinyl and it protects the equipment AND helps keep the ph on balance. Didn't test phosphate.
    Soooooo....I say bs. Am I right? My water is gorgeous right now. Where did the phosphate come from?
    IG 15,000 gal vinyl Grecian SW, Hayward SWG, Pentair whisper flow pump, sand filter, Aquacal ice breaker heat pump. Finished August 2015, screen enclosure, TF 100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Yes I went there times two.

Your phosphates are so low as to be insignificant. Trust your own testing.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Trust your TF100 just as you have been doing. There is no chemical reaction between vinyl and CH, so no need to raise it.

There is no telling where the phosphate came from. It can come from birds, perhaps a bit of fertilizer got in the pool somehow? Who knows. Maybe even the pool store phosphate test is just wrong.
    In any case though, 300 phosphate is tiny.

Phosphate remover is expensive and the pool store is in business to sell expensive stuff. So, be careful and dont believe everything they tell you. Thats how people get in real trouble with their pools.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the reassurance. I do my testing with such meticulous precision (loved chemistry, was married to a chemist and I'm a nurse) that I about laughed at the second store. He just squirted this and that and missed the vials a lot. He was so fast my husband wanted to say we're not in a hurry, we'd prefer some accuracy. I wasn't at the first store. I will continue with my trouble free methods and advice!
    IG 15,000 gal vinyl Grecian SW, Hayward SWG, Pentair whisper flow pump, sand filter, Aquacal ice breaker heat pump. Finished August 2015, screen enclosure, TF 100