Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filter Pressure with SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Filter Pressure with SWG

Drives me nuts that as the filter gradually gets dirty the flow decreases and then the SWG stops working. No way to know other than look over fence at lights or go through diagnostics on indoor panel. It'd be nice to get an alert or warning. Usually the way I notice it's not working is that my water starts getting cloudy. Annoying. I've got a VF pump so I'm trying to save money and keeping the pump running just fast enough to produce chlorine. After a clean filter I start at 2050 and right now I'm up to 2900 just two months since last cleaning.

28,000 in ground gunite pool and spa
    Pentair EasyTouch 8
    Pentair Salt Water Generator
    System 3 Filter
    Max Therm Heater 400,000 btu

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG not producing chlorine? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    Those speeds are awfully high. Are you sure your filter is clean?

With the VF pump, it should automatically compensate for increasing filter restriction and the swg should always run
    When filter is clean the pressure is around 8-10 psi. Right now it's around 15-20. Are you saying 2050 is too fast? That's the lowest I can go and keep the flow light green. Pool gets cloudy, I check the SWG, it's red. I raise the flow, it's green and the pool is clear. Repeat cycle every week until now I'm at 2900. With phosphate levels around 300 I'm pretty sure the phosfree stuff is what's clogging the filter. But that's a different issue.

Pentair EasyTouch 8
    System 3 Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Filter Pressure with SWG

If your "clean" psi is 10, you should be backwashing or cleaning at about 13 psi.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds like you might have some algae. Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is something cooking.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

?

Pentair EasyTouch 8
    System 3 Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    If your "clean" psi is 10, you should be backwashing or cleaning at about 13 psi.
    I thought I read that you need to clean the filter when it get 10 psi higher than initial levels.

Pentair EasyTouch 8
    System 3 Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jdomke1 View Post
    Drives me nuts that as the filter gradually gets dirty the flow decreases and then the SWG stops working. No way to know other than look over fence at lights or go through diagnostics on indoor panel. It'd be nice to get an alert or warning. Usually the way I notice it's not working is that my water starts getting cloudy. Annoying. I've got a VF pump so I'm trying to save money and keeping the pump running just fast enough to produce chlorine. After a clean filter I start at 2050 and right now I'm up to 2900 just two months since last cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    jd,

I don't know much about System 3 Filters, but the one I saw on-line was only 100 Sq feet. My filter is 520 Sq feet and I have to clean it about twice a year, so if yours is only 100 sq feet, it would make sense it would fill up pretty quickly, especially if you are having an algae issue.

For your "alert" that the IC40's flow is low, I suggest you get ScreenLogic2. It provides a display on your PC that shows alerts such as "no flow" also, pump speed etc, and makes changing % of output a 2 second job.

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    jd,

I don't know much about System 3 Filters, but the one I saw on-line was only 100 Sq feet. My filter is 520 Sq feet and I have to clean it about twice a year, so if yours is only 100 sq feet, it would make sense it would fill up pretty quickly, especially if you are having an algae issue.

For your "alert" that the IC40's flow is low, I suggest you get ScreenLogic2. It provides a display on your PC that shows alerts such as "no flow" also, pump speed etc, and makes changing % of output a 2 second job.

Jim R.
    I've got screenlogic and alerts are setup. Never get a thing and their support is useless. The system 3 I have is 300 sq ft.

Pentair EasyTouch 8
    System 3 Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Sounds like you might have some algae. Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if there is something cooking.
    ?

Pentair EasyTouch 8
    System 3 Filter

10. Back To Top    #10

The most common reason people's SWGs can't maintain FC is because there is algae in the pool. Click the link, Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see how to do it. If it fails then you need to SLAM. If it passes then you rule out algae consuming the FC as fast as the SWG makes it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    The most common reason people's SWGs can't maintain FC is because there is algae in the pool. Click the link, Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see how to do it. If it fails then you need to SLAM. If it passes then you rule out algae consuming the FC as fast as the SWG makes it.
    Is it just me or am I supposed to be seeing something here? All I see is Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. What the heck does that mean?

Pentair EasyTouch 8
    System 3 Filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Click on the blue text to get a description.

Basically, you check if chlorine drops overnight when the sun isnt affecting it. Only 2 things cause chlorine loss, sunlight and organics. Eliminate the sunlight to check for organics.
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Two thing cause chlorine to be consumed......oxidizing contaminants in your pool and sunlight. The OCLT removes the sun from the equation. You need to test your chlorine after sunset and before sunrise. A loss of more than 1ppm without sunlight on the pool indicates something in your water causing chlorine loss. In order to do that test you need a FAS-DPD chlorine drop type test allowing you to measure chlorine accurately and not a color matching test.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Griswald View Post
    Click on the blue text to get a description.

Basically, you check if chlorine drops overnight when the sun isnt affecting it. Only 2 things cause chlorine loss, sunlight and organics. Eliminate the sunlight to check for organics.
    There is no blue text. Prob why I can see it. Using a phone app that might not accept links like that.

Pentair EasyTouch 8
    System 3 Filter

15. Back To Top    #15

If you are in tapatalk, click in the little dots at top right and press web view, and you will see the blue links...
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by Piolin View Post
    If you are in tapatalk, click in the little dots at top right and press web view, and you will see the blue links...
    Thanks for the advice

Pentair EasyTouch 8
    System 3 Filter

17. Back To Top    #17

In your previous thread, you mentioned that your System3 filter is fairly old. When was the last time the filter elements were changed?

Also, you mention having used a phosphate remover. Which product did you use? Did it have a clarifier in it or did you add a clarifier after adding the phosphate remover? Knowing what chemicals have gone into your system can help diagnose the problem.

At the end of the day, you may need to tear down the System3 and do a TSP/bleach soak to remove any embedded oils and organics and then, possibly an acid clean using dilute MA and water to remove any lime scale that may have built up on them elements. If the elements are old, it may not be worth the time effort trying to rehabilitate them and you should consider buying new ones.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

18. Back To Top    #18

I don't recall saying its old. It was installed in 2015 and I have two complete sets of filters. According to pentair these filters have a lifespan of 2-3 years so I've got plenty of time. I did a complete filter cleaning about two months ago where the system was soaked for nearly 16 hours in cleaning solution. What I need to do is buy a 32 gallon plastic trash can so I can soak one while using the other. Such a waste to soak and then throw out the solution every time.

Pentair EasyTouch 8
    System 3 Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by jdomke1 View Post
    I don't recall saying its old. It was installed in 2015 and I have two complete sets of filters. According to pentair these filters have a lifespan of 2-3 years so I've got plenty of time. I did a complete filter cleaning about two months ago where the system was soaked for nearly 16 hours in cleaning solution. What I need to do is buy a 32 gallon plastic trash can so I can soak one while using the other. Such a waste to soak and then throw out the solution every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    OK, my fault then. I must have mixed your System3 up with someone else's thread. Many users find them difficult to work with so we get a lot of complaints about their inherent unwieldiness and expensive replacement cost.

Did you add clarifier along with the phosphate remover? Which brands were used? There was also the use of an algaecide, no?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

20. Back To Top    #20

So for algaecide that I accidentally put the whole bottle it was Clorox Pool&Spa Algaecide. I also have Doheny's Super Pool Algaecide Plus. The clarifier I used was SeaKlear Natural Clarifier for Pools. The phosphate stuff I use on occasion is SeaKlear Phosphate Remover. The stuff I use weekly is Natural Chemistry Swimming Pool Perfect + Plus PhosFree.

Pentair EasyTouch 8
    System 3 Filter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast