Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CH not raising per instructions

1. Back To Top    #1

CH not raising per instructions

Hello I am new to the forum. I have a 22,000 gallon fiberglass in ground pool with a hayward sand filter. Early in the season I realized I had a high CYA due to the puck style chlorine tablets. I have since switched to Bleach. After three partial drain and refills I have lowered it to 65. Not ideal I know but i'm trying to make it work until the winterization next month.
    The problem I am having is I have added 50+ pounds of CH+ and only raised the Ch level by 50. And seems to vary thru the day. I have a brand new color q digital tester and have been testing daily. My levels are as follows.

FCL 2.01
    TCL 2.72
    PH 7.6
    ALK 148
    CH 71
    CYA 65

I feel like I have been missing something here. Also wasting money possibly @ 60.00 in Ch+ alone. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance T

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CH not raising per instructions

Basically we don't encourage the use of digital testers as they're finicky, require calibration and expensive to boot!

We only recommend two different test kits- the TF-100 or the Taylor's K-2006. Both available via TFTestkits.net or on Amazon. For your pool I would suggest the TF-100.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

According to Pool Math, 50 pounds (800oz) of Calcium Chloride will raise CH 246ppm in a 22,000 gallon pool. What exactly did you add?

If you did indeed add 50 pounds of Calcium Chloride, then your testing is quite suspect.
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the interest. I added Pool Mate 1-2825 Calcium Increaser 25 lbs per bucket and added two buckets (bought on Amazon). Dumped in the sides of the pool. Brushed it in and filtered all night long. Since yesterday when I added it I have tested it 4 times the reading started at 78 before adding then 70,76,65, and finally 79 at 6:00 this morning. I know it takes awhile to dissolve Calcium and maybe it had not been dissolved on the first couple ??

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by yippeeskippy View Post
    basically we don't encourage the use of digital testers as they're finicky, require calibration and expensive to boot!

We only recommend two different test kits- the tf-100 or the taylor's k-2006. Both available via tftestkits.net or on amazon. For your pool i would suggest the tf-100.

thanks i just ordered on on amazon

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Your testing is not correct. Your CH is much higher than the color q is stating. The 50 lbs of the pool mate calcium increaser (800 oz) would increase your CH by 246. CH doesn't go away when you have to top off water because of evaporation. The only way to get rid of CH is to replace water. Unless you have a fresh fill from low CH water, you probably increased your CH way too much.

The recommended CH in a fiberglass pool is 220-320: Pool School - Recommended Levels

As suggested, you should get one of the recommended kits ASAP so you can get a handle on this.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by kcindc View Post
    Your testing is not correct. Your CH is much higher than the color q is stating. The 50 lbs of the pool mate calcium increaser (800 oz) would increase your CH by 246. CH doesn't go away when you have to top off water because of evaporation. The only way to get rid of CH is to replace water. Unless you have a fresh fill from low CH water, you probably increased your CH way too much.

The recommended CH in a fiberglass pool is 220-320: Pool School - Recommended Levels

As suggested, you should get one of the recommended kits ASAP so you can get a handle on this.
    I did order a new tester. Also I did use two separate testers (same brand) thinking maybe one was off. They were both close to each other. Doesn't mean they can't both be off tho. They were quite expensive Not to be calibrated off the shelf I would think. But who knows ?

20,000 gal, IG Fiberglass, about 20 y/o, Hayward Sand Filter, Whisperflo 1HP pump, CreepyCrawly Cleaning Robot, Jandy JXI260P Heater, Solar Heater

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Glad to hear you ordered one of the recommended test kits. Head on over to pool math and give it spin... that is where we were able to calculate the 246 increase in your CH.

When you get the kit, post up a full set of results. The CYA test needs to be done in full sunlight, back to the sun, vial at waist level and hold with two fingers. Any value between numbers needs to be rounded up to the next highest number.

Update your signature with your pool details as state here: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post Your signature helps us respond to folks faster and more accurately.

Read up on pool school to get an idea of chemicals: Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

Recommended levels: Pool School - Recommended Levels

Chlorine CYA Chart: Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Ask any questions you have and there will be someone on here who will know the answer

Oh, and welcome to TFP!
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank you ! And I will do all of the above

20,000 gal, IG Fiberglass, about 20 y/o, Hayward Sand Filter, Whisperflo 1HP pump, CreepyCrawly Cleaning Robot, Jandy JXI260P Heater, Solar Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok I got the new Taylor K2006 tester yesterday and tested today with it and the Color Q and the results are as follows :

Taylor

FCL 1.2
    TCL .2
    PH 7.2
    ALK 120
    CH 875 (WOW!!!)
    CYA 70

COLOR Q

FCL .64
    TCL 1.13
    PH 7.4
    ALK 137
    CH 126
    CYA 76

So partial drain and refill but how much ?
    Does anything else jump out at you ?
    Partial drain should help the CYA to I assume.
    I originally thought that the pool was 22,000 gal but after rechecking with a tape I believe it is only 20,000 gal

Thanks again for the help

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

FC is way too low for the CYA.

A replacement of 50-60% of the water would be enough IMO.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

12. Back To Top    #12

does anyone know how far I can safely drain my IG fiberglass pool ?

13. Back To Top    #13

Technology is Wonderful. When it works. The problem is that too often you have to use the old fashion methods to make sure that the technology is working. Which really defeats the whole purpose. My father used to say that municipal utilities would never try any new concept until it was obsolete. Not a 100% accurate statement, but not far from it. But early adopters make it cheaper for later adopters to get newer stuff that actually works at more reasonable prices. Thanks for keeping us informed of your progress.

The amount you can drain your pool depends upon your surface water table. Too high a surface level and your pool becomes a boat. There might be local sources of data for that.
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100

14. Back To Top    #14

Fiberglass pools are not supposed to be drained. You'll have to do partial (like no more than 1/4 perhaps) and refills, unless you want to attempt the cumbersome tarp method. We've seen pics of it once here that I can recall, and it worked well, but... it can be a challenge! I'd go for the multiple small drains.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Ammoniajones View Post
    does anyone know how far I can safely drain my IG fiberglass pool ?
    It depends on how high the water table is in your area. If it is high, or you don't know I would only drain down to the bottom of the skimmer, refill, and repeat until the levels are where you want them.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by zea3 View Post
    It depends on how high the water table is in your area. If it is high, or you don't know I would only drain down to the bottom of the skimmer, refill, and repeat until the levels are where you want them.
    I am on top of a big hill and there is no standing water near by

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

I am on top of a big hill and there is no standing water near by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would not drain your pool more than a few inches below the skimmer. While ground water is an issue for all pools, I believe that a fiberglass shell can collapse from the weight of the dirt pushing against the sides.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok I got the new Taylor K2006 tester yesterday and tested today with it and the Color Q and the results are as follows :

Taylor

FCL 1.2
    TCL .2
    PH 7.2
    ALK 120
    CH 875 (WOW!!!)
    CYA 70
    What is it that you listed as "TCL"?
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    I would not drain your pool more than a few inches below the skimmer. While ground water is an issue for all pools, I believe that a fiberglass shell can collapse from the weight of the dirt pushing against the sides.

- - - Updated - - -

What is it that you listed as "TCL"?
    Total chlorine level

19. Back To Top    #19

CH not raising per instructions

I am going with the partial drain method. I drained it to 2" below the skimmer and overfilled a few inches above the skimmer. I will let it continue to filter until around noon, thus giving it 12 hrs to blend and then retest and do another partial drain refill and repeat.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Total chlorine level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    TC (Total Chlorine) cannot be less than FC, as TC is the sum of FC + CC. Perhaps you meant CC is 0.2ppm, making your TC 1.4ppm?

Taylor

FCL 1.2
    TCL .2
    PH 7.2
    ALK 120
    CH 875 (WOW!!!)
    CYA 70
    Dom - TFP Guide

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast