Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fired my pool guy and ready to start learning

1. Back To Top    #1

Fired my pool guy and ready to start learning

So I bought a house with a pool and a spa and knew nothing about either, but I'm a handy, DIY kinda guy. I was planning on keeping my pool guy around while I was getting the hang of it, but after he told me "he doesn't spend a lot of time chasing PH", I had a feeling it wasn't going to work out. He also only uses test strips.

I've ordered a K-2006 test kit and few other items I've seen recommended here. I look forward to learning and contributing to this forum. Thanks for all the advice so far.
    Memphis, TN.
    Pool IG, 20K gallon, Gunite. Triton Sand filter, Pentair Pump, Polaris 280, Doheny Discovery Dolphin, Chlorinating Liquid, Rock Water Feature, New Plaster 2015
    Spa 450 gal, Tropic Seas Waikiki 864L, Bromine
    Taylor K-2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fired my pool guy and ready to start learning

Glad to hear you decided to take charge of your pool. That's the best way to do it. If you have any questions about testing or the recommended chemicals, just let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Doesn't spend a lot of time chasing pH. Wow.

Welcome to TFP!
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome

I found TFPC to be so very easy after the first month or so of paying close attention to achieving chemical balance and getting comfortable with testing methodology.

I love TFPC. No shocking, no greening - just keep the FC in range everyday, and water keeps on sparkling. Taking care of my pool now is dang near boring . . .
    Chas & Cheryl (first-time, second-year pool owners)
    Radiant Metric Oval AGP 16'x32'x52"; Pentair: Clean&Clear 150 Cartridge, OptiFlo 1.5 Hp 2-spd, and 320C Feeder (all mounted below water level); Taylor K-2006 & SpeedStir; Maytronics Dolphin E10 (aka Einstein)
    installation pics (2015-2016)

5. Back To Top    #5

Did your pool guy go to Rio?
    16X32 AB, Pentair SD filter, 3/4hp Pentair Optiflo, CircuPool RJ30+ swg, TF 100