New VA owner-builder IG plaster pool in a NON plaster region:)

linzvirgo

Bronze Supporter
Jul 29, 2016
So VA
New VA owner-builder IG plaster pool in a NON plaster region:) *UPDATED PICS*

Hi everyone! I found this forum through Gardenweb and have to say i have spent hours reading post after post! We have been talking about building a pool for years and have just been waiting for the best time with our children. This summer our neighbors built a brick wall in between our houses and needed to use our yard to access b/c of their pool. It ended up raining throughout the whole process and our yard became a mudding mess with track marks everywhere from the equipment. We decided maybe it was a sign to just go ahead and put the pool in! After researching and meeting with builders in the area (small town VA) we wanted to go outside the box of the vinyl pool that most people have and the fiberglass option just didn't work for the size of our yard and their sizing restrictions. We found someone in Raleigh who was building a plaster pool close by at vacation home and talked to his subcontractors and decided we were going to take it on ourselves :eek: So far so good, there a couple of things i really wished I had found this forum earlier for, but you live and you learn, right?? Right now we have the shell, the structure for the grotto, the slide (laying in the yard), and the travertine decking delivered. The tile guys are here today to begin the coping and the waterline tile has been ordered (Lightstreams Steel Blue). We received the list of the recommended pool equipment and I would really welcome any feedback that you may have!

Intelliflo 2 VST pump
WhisperFLO XF VS pump
Pentair UltraTemp heat pump
Pentair Easytouch 8
Glo brite LED 12V (3)
cartridge filter 420
Clean and Clear RP filter
some valves, bubblers and returns

If any of this doesn't make sense I can ask my husband as this list was written for him from the pool guy and he may understand it better than I do:)
Thank you in advance for helping this newbie! I'll attach some pictures when I can figure it out!

I thought it was a mausoleum entrance at first. Looks awesome!

Be still my heart! That picture of the little with the shovel??? Picture of the day!!!! CUTE!!!!!

Loving all of your picks!

Valves? Please check to see what kind. Let us know.

Unions? Any on the equipment?

Test kit plans?

Going to love your tile!!!

:kim:

Hahaha-you guys had the same reaction I did when I first saw the grotto shot! WOAH! A little panic set in until they talked to us about some previous ones they had done-fingers crossed:)

That's our youngest of four and maybe the most excited for the pool. We couldn't keep him out of the pool and the builders, I think, enjoyed having him around.
Valves-see I didn't even know these were important to mention! haha It says 6x Fox Smart valve, 3x 3" check valve, 2x 2" check valve, 3 wall returns and a 100 Watt transformer. Does that sound right?

As for test kits-that's one of the reasons I'm here. I need some pool school.:p

Never heard of the Fox Smart Valve but that does not mean anything.

Look in my siggy for the place I buy my test kit from. There are two main test kits we recommend. Talyor K2006 (NOT 2005) and TF-100.

I think the TF-100 is the best bang for the buck as it has more of the regents we use for our daily tests so you will not have to start right off buying refills when you run out with the other test kit.

You will never be "pool stored" since you found TFP. The pool $tore loves to sell you stuff for a big mark up. One thing that comes to mine is we have you go to Walmart to buy baking soda instead of the stuff the pool $tore sells :shock: Now don't go out and buy anything yet.

You should go ahead and get your test kit so you can test your fill water. That will allow us to tell you what to have on hand for when you get plastered. The kids will enjoy helping do the tests.

When you have a free moment (yeah right :rolleyes: like that happens with 4 kids, a husband, and a pool being built) start reading here:

Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Just know it is a LOT of info. and some of it will not make sense until you have water in your pool and start using the info. BUT it is nice to go ahead and start reading so you start to learn the lingo.

Make sure to ask LOTS of questions. We LOVE to help!

:kim:

Kimkats-I will certainly look for the place you buy your kits. Thanks for the advice!! My dad has said he will help as much as possible but I definitely want to school myself as much as possible also.

Pool coping and slide placement are being done today:)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, we took some time off in the winter and slowly started the decking and outdoor kitchen are. Then we went full steam ahead as the weather began to clear up around here. We are FINALLY ready to plaster. I have tons of questions about that process and start up. I have purchased and received my TF-100 start up kit and getting ready to test my tap water. I will post some updated pictures also! Whew!

WOWER!!!!!!! It is done and WOW! Please let the little stand in the grotto so we can see the size and his cute self! Bonus points for all 4 kids in it! :angel:

I have a link for you for starting up the plaster. PLEASE run it all by your plaster people if they are going to hold your warranty. The 30 days no swim depends on what start up is going to be used. Talk to your plaster people.

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Thank you! We are so ready for it to be finished-especially the 4 kids!! I have read all of the info in pool school, probably 2-3 times. I'm still so overwhelmed. The plaster people told my husband it would be a 2 day process. Plaster on day 1, and acid wash on day 2. Is this normal? I always thought plaster was a one day job and you fill the pool. The pool people told us it would be an acid start up, but then we have to take over literally on day 1. Since we did and owner-build we knew this but I'm still feeling like a deer caught in head lights. Would love any and all feed back. I have my brush ready, planning to buy the muriatic acid tomorrow to have on hand. ��

Hmmm, so they are saying not to do an acid wash at all b/c it may jeopardize the durability. We have decided to go with pebble and not quartz. Could that be a reason? Why would they plaster one day and wait until the next to finish? Thank you for all your help!
lindsay

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.