Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fixed suction side leak now spa drains a few inches overnight

1. Back To Top    #1

Fixed suction side leak now spa drains a few inches overnight

So when I took possession of my pool I originally had a check valve that was leaking causing the spa to drain down when the pump was off. Last weekend I has a suction side leak at my main Jandy neverlube valve that is right before the pump. This is the valve that switches the suction side from pool to spa. So I got some new gaskets and I have no air in the system now. However, now the spa drains about 3-4 inches over night again. My only thoughts are that its the diverter in the neverlube valve. not making a perfect seal. The check valve is new, so I don't know what else could be causing it. Am I on the right track? Thanks.
    13k Gallon IG Pebble w/ attached Spa, AquaRite T-Cell-15 SWG, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Hayward 400k Heater, TF-100 Kit, Pool Logger

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fixed suction side leak now spa drains a few inches overnight

Thats a possibility yes and since it just happened after replacing the o rings that would be my first point of interest.

3. Back To Top    #3

Check orientation of check valve. I. E. Flow direction arrow for correct installation. A picture of your setup would help.

10,000 gallons IG Freeform, 8ft raised spa,pebble finish
    FNS 60 Sqft DE Filter,2HP Whisperflow for Pool/Spa filtering
    2HP Whisperflow for Spa jets
    1HP Whisperflow for Waterfall
    Master Temp 400,000 Btu Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

How is the return side Jandy valve? Jandy valves seal in three ways. The divert-er, which would seal between the pool side and the spa side, that can cause the symptom your having, if leaking. The cap oring, which can leak externally. And the stem oring(s) which can leak externally OR, in the case of the suction side, pull air, also like in your case. Jandy valves' orings will wear out at the same rate, the oring kits are cheap enough, you should replace in pairs. Don't forget the solar valve(s) too (if applicable)!
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

5. Back To Top    #5

The pressure side one doesnt leak water, so I think I am good there. I replaced the stem orings and the cap oring. All I can think of now is that the diverter is leaking slightly. The reason why it didn't show before was because the suction side leak was causing the pump to lose prime so there was air in the system in that valve area so no water to leak. I contacted Jandy and they are replacing the diverter for free (lifetime warranty). If that doesnt do it, i'll replace all the seals on the other valve too.

Since I have owned this pool for almost 2 months now i am 90% there on replacing almost all orings etc... I don't think anything had been replaced since the pool was built (9 years ago.) I just like having "knowns."
    13k Gallon IG Pebble w/ attached Spa, AquaRite T-Cell-15 SWG, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Hayward 400k Heater, TF-100 Kit, Pool Logger

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

The diverter can leak water (from the spa to the pool), without leaking externally. It may have been leaking all along, but you may have mistook the leak/drain back as being from the check valve. Actually, they could both be leaking.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

From how I read it, it didn't leak right before he replaced the o rings and now it is.

8. Back To Top    #8

That's correct. But it would have never had water in it when the pump was off because of the previous air leak on the outside seals if that makes sense. Now the pump doesn't lose prime anymore so there is water in the system at all times.