Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid chlorine

Hi all I am in the uk and quite new to all this and I'm currently trying to source liquid chlorine of a higher percentage than the less than 5% tesco sell. When I came across this website http://www.farmchem.co.uk/sodium-hypochlorite-1415. Not sure if this is the correct stuff or even if that link will work. And if it is the right stuff is that good value?? Many thanks Nathan

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid chlorine

All liquid chlorine, liquid shock and bleach is the same stuff, sodium hypochlorite with various percentages of chlorine.

In the US it is usually as follows
    Bleach, 3 to 8-1/2% sodium hypochlorite
    Liquid chlorine 10% sodium hypochlorite
    Liquid shock 12 to 12-1/2% sodium hypochlorite
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

OK thanks. So this stuff for would only be good for shocking the pool as it's 14%. It would be unsuitable for day to day use like you guys do with bleach?? Thanks for your help.

4. Back To Top    #4

It is fine for either purpose. Just be sure to adjust the percentage in PoolMath so you get the correct dosage. i.e., use half as much 14% as you would 7% to achieve the same ppm FC.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

If you use the pool calculator app http://poolcalculator.com/?utm_sourc...aign=redirect/ you can input the percentage of the bleach and the readout will give you the exact dosage.
    14,000 gallon Fox Lagoon, ingound vinyl
    PacFab Sand filter
    installed April, 2002
    Frog inline chlorinator
    Town water

6. Back To Top    #6

That's brilliant thanks you

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Note: Pool Calculator is not being maintained. I would recommend using Pool Math instead. It's right up at the top of the page
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir