I just purchased my first automatic pool cleaner after 14 years...

jwhop3

Jun 9, 2014
Rocky Mount/Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital Nano+ PPC2
I bought the Mamba, only $55 from Amazon, new in box. I've seen several youtube videos showing it work on my exact pool setup, so I'm eager to throw it in and get it running. I figured for that price, I couldn't lose.

It is a fine line getting the hose length just right. The hose is made up of snap-together sections, and you have enough for a fairly large pool. I used all but 2, I might add one more. The hose needs to be able to coil into an S-shape to whip the Mamba around the pool. If the hose is able to straighten out, the Mamba can stall and get stuck in one spot.

It swims around in concentric circles based on the s-shape of the hose, which has a air relief valve that imparts a chugging action on the hose. This keeps everything moving around. There is also a clip-on float ring that keeps the Mamba at the right angle. I had to play around with the placement of that. If I had too much line between the float and the cleaner, the slack line would get hung in the cove of my steps. I did pull my ladder out, and the chugging of the line kept the Mamba from getting hung on the floor drain. It did a great job on the walls and incline, and would climb all the way to the surface. then fall back down and resume cleaning.

It did seem to do a better job cleaning without making a huge dust cloud out the returns like my vacuum hose did. I definitely need to deep-clean my filter. Even though the return stream appeared to be clear last night while it was operating, this morning, the water was cloudy, so I'm still getting blowback from the filter.

All-in-all, if everything holds up, I'd say it's a great investment of $70.

Okay, I've had this hooked up quite a bit at the end of this season, and when it's not getting hung up on my light, or in the steps cove, it works really well. Playing with the pressure and the flow regulator has helped the pool light problem, I think I've figured out the answer to the step cove issue. When the Mamba is crawling around the step cove with the hose curled out in from of it, the hose floating on the surface will often curl inward and get hung in the cove. I'm thinking of crafting a PVC "Shark Cage" fitted to sit inside the cove, causing the hose to bounce of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.