Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover question

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover question

So because I'm a cheapskate I figured I'd ask. Been pondering a solar cover for our little pool. Pool is 14', can't find a 14' cover. Did find a 15' cover for $40 I also saw a 10' cover for $14. So the question I have is would the little bit of extra coverage really make a difference over the smaller one? The 10' would fit pretty good I think and I wouldn't have to contend with the ladder coming off of the deck.

So has anyone used a smaller cover and had good results? Just trying to get the last couple of weeks out of summer without talking like a preteen boy again, no matter how funny the kids find it LOL!

Thanks in advance.
    Little ole baby pool. 14' x 42" Pro Series 3300G pool. AG Vinyl with metal frame. Currently installed are a Intex pump/sand filter SF60110 3000GPH and Intex SWG ECO8110. Filled with city water. TF100 Test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar cover question

Quote Originally Posted by Super B View Post
    So because I'm a cheapskate I figured I'd ask. Been pondering a solar cover for our little pool. Pool is 14', can't find a 14' cover. Did find a 15' cover for $40 I also saw a 10' cover for $14. So the question I have is would the little bit of extra coverage really make a difference over the smaller one? The 10' would fit pretty good I think and I wouldn't have to contend with the ladder coming off of the deck.

So has anyone used a smaller cover and had good results? Just trying to get the last couple of weeks out of summer without talking like a preteen boy again, no matter how funny the kids find it LOL!

Thanks in advance.
    You can get the bigger cover and just cut it to proper width. I use to see little circle s that you could put in pool made of the same solar cover material, but not sure how effective they are or were. I would think you want the pool completely covered.
    Cement Pond <--- build - 15K gal, 16 x 34 Rectangle, All Pentair - 520 Filter, 2 Intelliflo 2VST pumps (3hp) - 1 filter/1 water features, EasyTouch 8, Screen Logic, IC60 SWG,
    Pop-up Cleaners (Wet Deck and steps), 2 LED Bubblers, 3 LED 24" waterfalls, 5G LED Pool Light, Quartscapes Reflections Tahoe Blue plaster, Real Coral coping/deck, TF-100 Test Kit, 1766 Salt test kit.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Solar cover question

More coverage is better. Heat is lost to evaporation at the water surface. A smaller will certainly help and be a lot better than no cover.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach