BRAND NEW Multiport Valve handle loose after first use

Feb 23, 2016
Brier, WA
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and 1 year into pool ownership. I just replaced the top assembly with a brand new unit for a Pentair multiport valve. I did this because the Aqua Quip repairman said that I most likely had a faulty spring on my old valve. The handle was loose when I was turning it. For reference, I always turn off the pump before turning the handle.

After replacing I turned on the pump to filter and let it run for a few minutes. I wanted to test the new handle so I turned off the pump. I turned the new handle and at first there was plenty of pressure resisting me but then the handle loosened mid-turn. Why is this happening? This is the second spring/handle that has gone bad on me.

Questions:
  • is it normal that the handle provides pressure when the pump is off?
  • why did the handle pressure go limp so soon?

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks in advance - I'm stumped.

Michael

Hi,
23shh55.jpg
to the forum.

It's normal for the Multiport Valve Handle to have a slight amount of looseness or 'play' when it's at a fixed position. When you're rotating the Handle, be sure that it's lifted completely to the 'up' position and that the Pump has been off for a few seconds before attempting to lift the Handle.

For example, when the Pump is running, the Handle should have very little slack on it. When you turn off the Pump while watching the Handle at the same time, you should see the Handle relax & loosen some. That is normal.

Is your Multiport Valve functioning ok? If so, I'd guess your Valve is ok and the Spring isn't defective, particularly as you've just installed the new Top Assembly for the Valve.

As to your questions:

I'm not sure about the 1st question is it normal that the handle provides pressure when the pump is off?

If you're asking: Is it normal for the Handle to have resistance in the 'down' position when the Pump is off, the answer is 'yes' as that's tension of the Spring that you're feeling with the 'down' resistance.

When you lift the Handle before rotating the position, your hand force is overcoming the tension of the Spring to allow the Valve to rotate to another position.

why did the handle pressure go limp so soon?

If you're referring to the Handle going limp after the Pump is off, that's normal as the water pressure has been removed from inside the Valve once the Pump is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.