Pool is at about 30cya. I always run pretty consistent, SWG running at 40% 10 hours a day (enough to put roughly 2ppm of chlorine a day in the pool). After the pool store guys who did some work left the SWG unplugged for a week, I got something growing.
I've been SLAMing it for a few days now and I've never had issues like this before. My water is absolutely crystal clear right now, but whatever is going on is chewing through chlorine something fierce.
Now here's the weird part...
I thought I had this licked...yesterday evening it was at 9. I put a gallon of 12.5 in and ran the pool for an hour to mix it up good (I actually just noticed the pump 24/7 thing in the slam article - never had to do that before). Anyway, that should have got me to about 17, but I measured 15. Figured okay - we'll just see. This morning I got 15.5. A little odd, but maybe I miscounted last night. Sounds like we're home.
I left the SWG up at 60% and let it run today - that should put me at an extra 3ppm for the day. Now it was a hot sunny day today and we swam this evening. Sun goes down and I test the water. It's at 7ppm!! Holy cow! Even if I lost everything for the day to the sun, that's still another 8 gone.
I didn't get any more bleach because I thought we were done. So at this point...
Should I run the pump overnight with SWG to see where we end up?
This seems pretty aggressive to me - certainly I've never had anything chewing it up like this - is this not unusual for others?