Maytronics Dolphin Quantum / s300 / s300i

Motor

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 12, 2013
After much research I bought the Quantum from Pool Express dot Com for $1079 tax included and free delivery. They have a no questions asked for returns in the first 30 days. Also, I spoke with Maytronics twice and they said yes, its covered for the 2 year included warranty if bought through that website.

Do I suggest it?
For pools 20k gallons and less, Yes.
For larger or more complex shaped pools, No

Features:
It is exactly the same unit as the s300i MINUS the bluetooth controlled (steered) support (didnt want that anyway, a good pool cleaner should work without human intervention), and ability to run the tracks slower (Ultraclean mode) with the same suction level even though their marketing claims suction increases (so says their tech rep). It does have modes to auto run 3 days a week or 4 days a week if you just leave it in the pool, which is cool if you go away on vacay.

Best reason to buy/not buy:
"Cleans" in 2.25-2.5 hours. Would work great in a rectangle/square/round pool. NOT a kidney shaped pool, a California shaped pool, or a deep (8ft or more) pool with very steep sides.

Review:
Front roller like other models, runs 2x as fast which seems like a good feature, but didnt seem to make much difference.
The suction hole on the bottom is larger than other models, and works pretty well, but suction is reduced from older designed models like the M500. Maytronics rep said that it may be the same suction motor, but since it has one suction hole instead two smaller ones, the venturi effect is reduced and effectively reduces suction.
The handle and water evacuation is FAST and makes it easy to lift out of the water.
Catch basket is beautifully designed, super easy to clean and holds almost a cubic foot of leaves, which is a lot!
Power cord to robot gets tangled after 4 runs in pool. After 6 runs in pool, I recommend unscrewing it and untangling. A swivel cord would be a really nice addition. I called Maytronics and told them, they said they were already aware of the problem.
In my Kidney shaped 25k gallon pool with 8.5 deep end a steep sides, this robot did not perform well at all. I waited until there was lots of dust on pool floor and after 8 yes eight runs back to back, this robot STILL missed a bunch of spots and couldnt even climb walls to the surface on steep vertical deep end walls It never reached the waterline in deep end, and my plaster isnt smooth, its kinda rough and grippy. Robot did not put enough force out of the top to really push it against the wall for grip. Suction was pretty good but not as good as a regular manual pool vaccum. Did I mention it missed spots? A lot of spots. I had to place robot in pool in 4 different spots to get better coverage in pool, but it still didnt get all spots. I think this is due to the Nav 2.0 software in the robot is really designed for a rectangle or round pool. These robots are getting better, but still arent smart enough to really fully map out the pool.
Waterline was only cleaned 25%, mostly because robot didn't reach waterline when it tried climbing walls.

Resolution:
Called Maytronics, and PoolExpress, and I found out from Maytronics that the Supreme M500 is the best robot they make, They said that all their techs and employees buy that model for themselves, ONLY. The others are all less powerful, and less technologically advanced. Also the M500 has three rollers to help clean better and keep the robot from getting stuck on floor drains. We'll see, I ordered it from a local shop thats certified by Maytronic in Anaheim California, for $1,399.00 and theres a $100 manufactures rebate available till end of the month.

Its supposed to be delivered tomorrow. We'll see how it does with its adjustable float handle, increased suction, additional brushes, increased cleaning time mode (3.5hrs+), and included caddy/remote. The M500 is still the residential flagship model from Maytronics, even though the Quantum and the s300i are the newest designs.

Pics that are included are after 8 consecutive cleans, done back to back to back. See pics of entire missed sections of pool walls and floor. Steps are to be expected for the robot to not clean but walls should be cleaned.

Pro Tip, avoid the s200 model supposedly has a less powerful suction motor and seeing how this one did, I would not recommend anything less powerful as this s300i/Quantum was barely strong enough to suction decently.

Hope this review helps all of you!

Attachments

• 2053.jpg
    2053.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 2052.jpg
    2052.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 246
  • 2050.jpg
    2050.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 232
  • 2049.jpg
    2049.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 238
  • 2047.jpg
    2047.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 237
I have the S300i and it has a rough time on the steep sides of my hopper. I have to manually brush the hopper since it is so hit and miss.

For whatever reason if it hits my sides straight on it can't climb. It just sits there on the floor spinning the brushes. There are times I see it going sideways around my hopper.

After much research I bought the Quantum from Pool Express dot Com for $1079 tax included and free delivery. They have a no questions asked for returns in the first 30 days. Also, I spoke with Maytronics twice and they said yes, its covered for the 2 year included warranty if bought through that website.

Do I suggest it?
For pools 20k gallons and less, Yes.
For larger or more complex shaped pools, No

Features:
It is exactly the same unit as the s300i MINUS the bluetooth controlled (steered) support (didnt want that anyway, a good pool cleaner should work without human intervention), and ability to run the tracks slower (Ultraclean mode) with the same suction level even though their marketing claims suction increases (so says their tech rep). It does have modes to auto run 3 days a week or 4 days a week if you just leave it in the pool, which is cool if you go away on vacay.

Best reason to buy/not buy:
"Cleans" in 2.25-2.5 hours. Would work great in a rectangle/square/round pool. NOT a kidney shaped pool, a California shaped pool, or a deep (8ft or more) pool with very steep sides.

Review:
Front roller like other models, runs 2x as fast which seems like a good feature, but didnt seem to make much difference.
The suction hole on the bottom is larger than other models, and works pretty well, but suction is reduced from older designed models like the M500. Maytronics rep said that it may be the same suction motor, but since it has one suction hole instead two smaller ones, the venturi effect is reduced and effectively reduces suction.
The handle and water evacuation is FAST and makes it easy to lift out of the water.
Catch basket is beautifully designed, super easy to clean and holds almost a cubic foot of leaves, which is a lot!
Power cord to robot gets tangled after 4 runs in pool. After 6 runs in pool, I recommend unscrewing it and untangling. A swivel cord would be a really nice addition. I called Maytronics and told them, they said they were already aware of the problem.
In my Kidney shaped 25k gallon pool with 8.5 deep end a steep sides, this robot did not perform well at all. I waited until there was lots of dust on pool floor and after 8 yes eight runs back to back, this robot STILL missed a bunch of spots and couldnt even climb walls to the surface on steep vertical deep end walls It never reached the waterline in deep end, and my plaster isnt smooth, its kinda rough and grippy. Robot did not put enough force out of the top to really push it against the wall for grip. Suction was pretty good but not as good as a regular manual pool vaccum. Did I mention it missed spots? A lot of spots. I had to place robot in pool in 4 different spots to get better coverage in pool, but it still didnt get all spots. I think this is due to the Nav 2.0 software in the robot is really designed for a rectangle or round pool. These robots are getting better, but still arent smart enough to really fully map out the pool.
Waterline was only cleaned 25%, mostly because robot didn't reach waterline when it tried climbing walls.

Resolution:
Called Maytronics, and PoolExpress, and I found out from Maytronics that the Supreme M500 is the best robot they make, They said that all their techs and employees buy that model for themselves, ONLY. The others are all less powerful, and less technologically advanced. Also the M500 has three rollers to help clean better and keep the robot from getting stuck on floor drains. We'll see, I ordered it from a local shop thats certified by Maytronic in Anaheim California, for $1,399.00 and theres a $100 manufactures rebate available till end of the month.

Its supposed to be delivered tomorrow. We'll see how it does with its adjustable float handle, increased suction, additional brushes, increased cleaning time mode (3.5hrs+), and included caddy/remote. The M500 is still the residential flagship model from Maytronics, even though the Quantum and the s300i are the newest designs.

Pics that are included are after 8 consecutive cleans, done back to back to back. See pics of entire missed sections of pool walls and floor. Steps are to be expected for the robot to not clean but walls should be cleaned.

Pro Tip, avoid the s200 model supposedly has a less powerful suction motor and seeing how this one did, I would not recommend anything less powerful as this s300i/Quantum was barely strong enough to suction decently.

Hope this review helps all of you!

I have the S300 and a very deep kidney shaped pool with steep sides. If my cleaner was leaving that kind of dirt behind I would agree with you, but it doesn't. My S300 has functioned extremely well since I bought it. It replaced a Dolphin Diagnostic that functioned well until it started burning through power supplies. The Diagnostic had 2 smaller bottom slots and I found that it had greater difficulty with larger leaves than the S300's larger slot. If the robot is not climbing a vertical wall then there's a problem with that unit. Mine works as designed. It climbs up on either end (deep and shallow) and then thrusts laterally for about 6-8 feet once it hits the waterline. If your isn't doing that then there's a defect with that unit, not the design. As for the cord tangling, if you have both ends captive, then yes, you will experience tangling, that's pure common sense. When I remove the robot from the pool I disconnect the end from the power supply before winding onto the caddy, it doesn't tangle. When my wife uses the robot and tries to wind it with the power supply end connected it does tangle. So disconnected - not tangled, connected - tangled. There are plenty of people here who have the S300 and love it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.