Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: AquaGenie return

1. Back To Top    #1

Question AquaGenie return

We're about to do a large inground pool renovation and need advice. We have a 35+ year old Buster Crabbe pool and are ripping out our concrete pool decking, opening the shallow end wall to install 6 walk in steps, new liner, replacing original coping, new diving board and relocating our lines and mechanical system . The pool has it's original AquaGenie and no addition return line.

Our question is has anyone added an additional return/returns to a older Buster Crabbe pool that only has the AquaGenie return system? Our pool professionals who will be tasked with the reno feel we shouldn't mess with "success" as it's run this way for so many years.
    20x40 inground (120,000 liters) 35+year old Buster Crabbe, 3/4 horse Hayward pump (original) and sand filter (6 years)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: AquaGenie return

It's up to you in the end. If the pool really has just one return, putting some more in there will help keep everything properly circulated.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Multiple return jets is always better than just 1. Honestly, I am surprised that the AquaGenie is effective at all for maintaining good circulation.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Yes I have removed aqua genies & added returns.. It is laborious, well worth it in my experiences..

- - - Updated - - -

Yes I have removed aqua genies & added returns.. It is laborious, week worth it in my experiences..

Just curious, is your BC pool wood or steel walled?

5. Back To Top    #5

Steel walled
    20x40 inground (120,000 liters) 35+year old Buster Crabbe, 3/4 horse Hayward pump (original) and sand filter (6 years)

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Multiple return jets is always better than just 1. Honestly, I am surprised that the AquaGenie is effective at all for maintaining good circulation.
    I feel that they work amazingly well. Circulation is actually much better than regular returns. (In my opinion) I do however have a smaller pool. When standing in center of pool in deep end I can feel return water moving by my legs and feet. I have two aqua genies, therefore, two returns. Return action is different with aqua genies , it's circular from bottom to top. Rather than just swirling water around the top to the skimmer. I thought about taking a video because I know people here seem to look down on them. When I turn my pump on , and watch the pool , although I can't see the water shoot out the returns to the bottom, and continue across pool, I know when the water reaches the other side because that's when it kinda displaces the water on the top and I can literally watch the entire surface move towards the skimmers. This has been my experience with them.
    14x26 rectangle vinyl liner pool . 1.5 hp 2 speed tri star pump, 2 aqua genie skimmers , no main drain. 175 sq ft star clear cartridge filter. 200,000 btu hayward heater Tf-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the info. Given the shape of my pool, I just can't see how it would keep the surface clean in my free form pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Thanks for the info. Given the shape of my pool, I just can't see how it would keep the surface clean in my free form pool.
    You absolutely may be correct with that, good point, probobly best suited for rectangles.
    Kris
    14x26 rectangle vinyl liner pool . 1.5 hp 2 speed tri star pump, 2 aqua genie skimmers , no main drain. 175 sq ft star clear cartridge filter. 200,000 btu hayward heater Tf-100

9. Back To Top    #9

I have an aqua genie. I can tell ya, they work pretty good on a rectangle, round or oval pool.

The certainlhy would not be the best choice for a free form one or one longer than about 30 ft.

I have a 30 ft oval and I did add additional returns when I built it. The extra returns have come in handy on occasion too.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

The Aqua Genie seems to work just fine on my rectangular(ish) 15k gallons. I can see water eddies forming all over the pool surface and anything floating on the opposite end of the pool will be at the skimmer in less than 5 minutes. My only complaint is that the built in chlorine stick dispenser doesn't dispense enough. I have a second tablet floater and still have to add. I was sold on it providing my chlorine needs.
    Indoor IG Vinyl 15,375 gallon DIY
    DIY plumbing
    Aqua Genie skimmer and Wanda the Whale
    FloTec 1.5hp 2 speed pump, Intermatic w/toggle
    Hayward 175 sq ft cartridge, K-2006 Test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Narojobra View Post
    The Aqua Genie seems to work just fine on my rectangular(ish) 15k gallons. I can see water eddies forming all over the pool surface and anything floating on the opposite end of the pool will be at the skimmer in less than 5 minutes. My only complaint is that the built in chlorine stick dispenser doesn't dispense enough. I have a second tablet floater and still have to add. I was sold on it providing my chlorine needs.
    With an indoor pool, I would think that relying exclusively on tablets is a bad idea due to the CYA build up. You do not need more than 10-30ppm of CYA for an indoor pool. Makes more sense to set the level and then use liquid chlorine or SWG to maintain the FC levels.
    Jason, TFP Moderator