Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safety cover for winter or not?

1. Back To Top    #1

Safety cover for winter or not?

We have a kidney shaped pool, that is in an area closed off by a fence, so no major safety concerns.
    On the other hand, we got with the house and pool a cover that is like a tarp and is held using water tubes. We have lots of trees near the pool and when time came to open it, the water was full of rotten leaves. I am thinking of one of the following options, and seeking input:
    1. Safety cover + leaf net. Will require anchors and probably a custom size cover
    2. same tarp like cover, but add a leaf net on top, plus a pump to remove the water from snow\rain
    3. any other suggestion anyone might have...

Any thoughts?
    Your help,and sharing your experience is much appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Safety cover for winter or not?

I feel like mine is to keep any deer from jumping into it... not that they have, but i have had a cover on it, so i would never know.
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Hope Mills, NC

The tarp with water tubes will work, but I found that the tubes laying on the tarp laying on my concrete deck stained the heck out of the concrete. I went with a safety cover and no more dark patches on the deck!
    16 x 32 17500 gallons
    Vinyl in-ground
    Hayward 250# Sand Filter
    1 HP Pump
    Hayward SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Long Island NY

The cost may be the deciding factor. A loop loc cover with anchors for your pool will be expensive. I just replaced a standard size 18 x34 and it was $1800. Yours will need custom measure and drilled anchors in concrete. Ouch! But it is really the way to go.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover