Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: testing for bromine- is it chlorine or bromine?!

1. Back To Top    #1

testing for bromine- is it chlorine or bromine?!

I primed the spa with sodium bromide, added chlorine as oxidizer (2-step method outlined in the sticky post). I am using Taylor K-1000 to test for bromine. Question is, is it chlorine or bromine I am looking at?! they both use the same reagent (OTO) so I have no clue if I am measuring the oxidizing bleach that I added, or the sodium bromide turned into bromine? Do I need to wait a certain amount of time for the chlorine to do it's magic before measuring bromine levels?

Also, I understand it is recommended to use Taylor K-2106 for bromine. Is it another color-matching kit? or will I be counting drops? there is surprisingly little information available on this kit, I would like to know how it works before spending $57.
    Inground 28000 gal Concrete, Hayward Progrid DE filter 6020, US motors 1.5hp pump (3450rpm) , Polaris 360
    600 gal hot tub, Spa Vita, Nature2+MPS

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: testing for bromine- is it chlorine or bromine?!

I am not very familiar with bromine but this should help until somebody comes along.

How do I use Bromine in my spa (or pool)?
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

I have been told that you can just use the test chemicals for chlorine and multiply by 2.25 for bromine. So when using the FAS-DPD chlorine test kit to test for bromine for a 25ml sample the FC reading is drops*.2*2.25 or drops *.45. So just using drops*.5 is close enough. This makes it easier for me to use one kit to test my SWCG chlorine pool and bromine spa.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

4. Back To Top    #4

testing for bromine- is it chlorine or bromine?!

You can't differentiate chlorine from bromine. The test should really be called a "total halogen" or "free halogen" test because chlorine, bromine and iodine will all make the dyes change color.

In your spa, you just have to assume that the dominant halogen is bromine because chlorine will immediately react with the bromide to form bromine and it (chlorine) will be used up very quickly.

Incidentally, this is why you should NEVER add bromine to a swimming pool. It creates a constant chlorine demand which cannot be accurately tested for.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    You can't differentiate chlorine from bromine. The test should really be called a "total halogen" or "free halogen" test because chlorine, bromine and iodine will all make the dyes change color.
    does this apply to FAS-DPD test also? e.g both chlorine and bromine will make it turn pink?
    Inground 28000 gal Concrete, Hayward Progrid DE filter 6020, US motors 1.5hp pump (3450rpm) , Polaris 360

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by archer636 View Post
    does this apply to FAS-DPD test also? e.g both chlorine and bromine will make it turn pink?
    Yes.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    Yes.
    then how come K-2106 is indicated for bromine testing and not chlorine? or is that just a marketing gimmick?

8. Back To Top    #8

Marketing gimmick. The K-2106 has the FAS-DPD titration test for halogens, pH, TA and CH tests. That's all that matters in a bromine spa because one does not use cyanuric acid in a bromine spa.

In general chemistry terms, the DPD indicator dye turns pink in the presence of any halogen (chlorine, bromine and iodine). It does not distinguish between halogens.
    Matt