Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sanitation Alternatives to Existing Bromine System -- SWG/Trichlor/Liquid Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Sanitation Alternatives to Existing Bromine System -- SWG/Trichlor/Liquid Chlorine

In 2014, I purchased a home and completed construction of a pool, pond, and spa. The pool and spa are SWG, the pond was set up to sanitize using a bromine tablet feeder. After two years of operation and dealing with algae, I have concluded I need to make a change with the pond. The SWG pool and spa are near maintenance free and are exposed to about the same conditions. As I see it, I have three alternatives that all involve dumping the existing bromine tablet treated water:
    1. Convert to SWG like the other two systems
    2. Convert to trichlor tablet using existing feeder
    3. Use liquid chlorine and table feeder when on vacation

Obviously, alternative 1 requires the highest up front investment, but vs. my existing bromine costs will pay back in about 1.5 years. My questions:
    1. Am I correct in assuming that conversion to chlorine will make maintenance easier since chlorine is a better sanitizer?
    2. How can I estimate the annual on going costs of alternatives 2 and 3?
    3. How much work is required for alternative 2 and 3 vs. 1?
    4. Are there other alternatives I should consider?

Some additional background:
    • My details are in my signature. I am in Ann Arbor, MI.
    • The pond and spa are pebble, the pond is quartzite.
    • The pond is essentially a pool, the owner's original intent was to make it a very large koi pond. We were not sure we wanted that, so set it up essentially as an unheated pool. We still refer to it as the pond.
    • I have been pretty careful in keeping my chemicals in balance, I do not believe my pond algae and maintenance issue are operator error.
    • The pool and pond are adjacent. The pond does have a waterfall and a river that makes it somewhat more exposed to trees and pollen, but only marginally so.
    • I am pretty busy maintaining three separate systems and chemical balances, ease of operation has attracted me to alternative 1.

Appreciate any and all help and advice.
    91,000 gallon in ground pond Quartzite, Bromine tablets, sand filter,
    50,000 gallon in ground pool, Pebble, Pentair Intellitouch and IC60 SWG, sand filter
    1,500 gallon in ground spa SWG, Pebble, Pentair EasyTouch and IC20 SWG, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Sanitation Alternatives to Existing Bromine System -- SWG/Trichlor/Liquid Chlorin

If not using it as a pond option 1 SWG is the easiest and in my opinion your best option but as you know it does cost the most upfront, all chlorine will cost about the same over a 5 to 10 year period..

My personal experience with bromine is just bad, I had white mold, black mold, algae and just nasty looking water until I switched to chlorine and then SWG, since then I have had no problems at all
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Sanitation Alternatives to Existing Bromine System -- SWG/Trichlor/Liquid Chlorin

Thanks for the feedback, I've had the SWG cells installed and will change over to salt in the spring when I re-open.
    91,000 gallon in ground pond Quartzite, Bromine tablets, sand filter,
    50,000 gallon in ground pool, Pebble, Pentair Intellitouch and IC60 SWG, sand filter
    1,500 gallon in ground spa SWG, Pebble, Pentair EasyTouch and IC20 SWG, sand filter

4. Back To Top    #4

NEVER NEVER NEVER USE A BROMINE EROSION FEEDER WITH CHLORINE TABLETS!!!!! Did I mention NEVER? Even if you rinse it down, there can still be a chemical reaction ending up in excessive heat or an small explosion. So, do not use chlorine tablets in your bromine feeder.

Option 1: converting to a salt system. You WILL Need to drain, rinse, repeat, 2-3 times to eliminate all potential bromine residual in your pool, water, and equipment. Bromine of any kind, is not good with salt systems.
    Option 2: NO NO NO.
    Option 3: If converting to a salt system, you won't need this option.
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com