Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Running pool with air leak for a week (pump cap was not fit right)

1. Back To Top    #1

Running pool with air leak for a week (pump cap was not fit right)

Was on vacation for a week. Have a PB came to clean the pool last week. When I came back home today noticing lots of air bubble under the pump cover. Clearly the cover was not fit tightly. It took some force to take it off and retight the cover.

Now the the bubble is gone under the cover. A quick question, how bad will this damage be?

thanks.
    Massachusetts
    Vinyl Salt Pool 2011; IC40 SWG; Raypark gas heater; Sta-Rite Dynapro pump; Sta-Rite System 3 Filter S7M120; Pool size: app 25000 Ga
    first time pool owner. First year too.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Running pool with air leak for a week (pump cap was not fit right)

There may be no damage at all. The presence of air in the water isn't fatal, it's when you have no water that you start burning up seals. If you've got good water flow and pressure, and the pump doesn't sound funny, you're probably fine.
    16 x 32 IG plaster pool, 23k gallons, built 1992, DE filter, Pentair VS pump, IoThyngs controller, Taylor 2006 test kit, SoCal water restrictions
    Newbies with green pools, see SLAM and Recommended Test Kits. My company: IoThyngs

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Running pool with air leak for a week (pump cap was not fit right)

Yeah Amail has it right. I will add to it though, if you have no leaks at the pump (underneath or at pvc discharge fitting) then you are in the clear as far as prime loss damage is concerned.