Aug 16, 2015
Upstate, NY
FC: 4 mg/l
CC: no reading, zero?
pH: 7.4
TA: 60 mg/l
CH: 50 mg/l
CYA: 35

Hello - I am in the process of starting up a DYI pool. I had a temporary filter set-up with the intake just dangling into the side of the pool. I used a long hose to direct flow to one set of returns. At the same time I had my sump pump polyfill bucket going to remove some iron content I made the mistake of introducing through a garden hose top up. I managed to pick up a aquabot robot and although a wreck to look at (buckets, dangling hoses, no coping etc.), I had really beautiful sparkling water. Even when the water was orange, it was perfectly translucent (just orange). Sat. morning I move the filter to its permanent location. First time it was drawing from the skimmer and returning to all four outlets. Brown horribleness shoots out of the two returns that had not been in use before this point. While my levels still look good (day before brown jet infusion my pH was at 7.2) my water is now cloudy. I have run the filter straight since Saturday morning and used the robot twice. The water quality does not look like it is improving.

Am I really back to SLAM? I don't want it to get any worse, but everything was going so well....

Hello -

I passed the OCLT test with no problem. Less than 0.5 mg/l drop overnight.

duraleigh - mg/l = ppm (Professional habit to use mg/l, I will try not to do it if it causes confusion)
Before posting I read, and read, and read - 'Help I have cloudy water' posts. In almost every case, the answer is SLAM. So I felt like I am trying to avoid doing the obvious, or avoid following pool school by asking the question, which past threads have answered time and time again. So my CC is 0, my OCLT is <0.5, but I have cloudy water. I am failing the third SLAM rule.....

Amail, you were right, and I was not patient enough. Finally today we are clearing up. You know, I was thinking about the weekend, and in addition to the brown water from the return, there were three kids in the pool slathered with SPF 50. I imagine that didn't help either.

Thanks you.

nire878,

mg/l is confusing....every one is used to ppm.

If it's a chemistry questions 85% of the answers will be to add chlorine. Most new pool owners don't understand that nor are willing to do it. You are not being repetitive....we see it a hundred times daily.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.