Why do I have a 2HP pump for 6600 Gallons?

If you also have a spa, no, waterfall, no. If it's just the pool, heck ya !! Then they should have used the money to install a smaller two speed. I don't understand anyone going new not going with a two speed or variable for the savings in $$$ operating costs.

Some of this may be driven by the installer and what they had available or were encouraged to push by the manufacture(s) they work with. In addition, there are many (installers) who still get caught-up on "pool turnover" and think they need to push X-amount of water daily to keep it clean which we know isn't the case. I agree that being a single speed might be the biggest concern. At least with a 2-speed you can save energy costs and keep the flow much slower until you really want it pushed harder. That's what I do. My pump is on low 99.9% of the time. So when the time comes to replace the motor, I would definitely consider a 2 speed. If you expand your system later or have any additional plumbing needs (waterfall, fountains, etc) the 2 HP might still be valuable. If not, you could drop your HP some, but still look for a 2 speed in the long-run.

One size fits all is great if you're selling or maintaining things:
Stock one type of pump. Have one set of electrical requirements, one set of things that can go wrong, one troubleshooting procedure, one set of spare parts...

Maybe sell the pump for a bit less with smaller pools, but take advantage of anything you can standardize.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.