Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Why do I have a 2HP pump for 6600 Gallons?

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Why do I have a 2HP pump for 6600 Gallons?

Hey guys, new pool owner. I noticed many people have pools way bigger than mine, but have a smaller pump. Is my 2HP single speed overkill for my pool?
    San Juan Mandalay Bay / Saltwater Fiberglass IG / Installed 2012 / 6600G / Depth 5.7 / Digital Nano #75041 / RC 35.22 / Sta-Rite SuperMax 2HP 1-Speed / Hayward C12002 Cartridge Filter / AquaCal 74K BTU / Silencer Air Blower 1.5HP / Taylor K-2005

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Why do I have a 2HP pump for 6600 Gallons?

If you also have a spa, no, waterfall, no. If it's just the pool, heck ya !! Then they should have used the money to install a smaller two speed. I don't understand anyone going new not going with a two speed or variable for the savings in $$$ operating costs.
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Mandalay Bay has a spa built in.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Some of this may be driven by the installer and what they had available or were encouraged to push by the manufacture(s) they work with. In addition, there are many (installers) who still get caught-up on "pool turnover" and think they need to push X-amount of water daily to keep it clean which we know isn't the case. I agree that being a single speed might be the biggest concern. At least with a 2-speed you can save energy costs and keep the flow much slower until you really want it pushed harder. That's what I do. My pump is on low 99.9% of the time. So when the time comes to replace the motor, I would definitely consider a 2 speed. If you expand your system later or have any additional plumbing needs (waterfall, fountains, etc) the 2 HP might still be valuable. If not, you could drop your HP some, but still look for a 2 speed in the long-run.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Great feedback everyone, Thank you. The pump is 5 years old so I assume it's pushing its limit some. The previous owner told me to run it 10 hrs a day. I will replace the motor with a two speed when needed.
    San Juan Mandalay Bay / Saltwater Fiberglass IG / Installed 2012 / 6600G / Depth 5.7 / Digital Nano #75041 / RC 35.22 / Sta-Rite SuperMax 2HP 1-Speed / Hayward C12002 Cartridge Filter / AquaCal 74K BTU / Silencer Air Blower 1.5HP / Taylor K-2005

6. Back To Top    #6

One size fits all is great if you're selling or maintaining things:
    Stock one type of pump. Have one set of electrical requirements, one set of things that can go wrong, one troubleshooting procedure, one set of spare parts...

Maybe sell the pump for a bit less with smaller pools, but take advantage of anything you can standardize.
    "...chemistry is not an exact science" -Mario Andrada, Rio 2016 Olympics spokesman
    21' x 52" Radiant Metric Round ~10K gal AGP with Hayward S180t pump/sand filter.
    Caldera (Watkins) Martinique 340 gallon installed in basement, Bromine and ozone.
    Taylor K-2006 test kit.