AquaLink Z4; controlling more than 3 actuators?

300winmag

Gold Supporter
Aug 2, 2016
Dallas, TX
I have this controller, and the manual states it can only accommodate 3 actuators. I asked the PB if it could be expanded, and they said no.

However, I found the following: P/N 5098; Relay splitter
https://www.amazon.com/Zodiac-5098-Jandy-Relay-Splitter/dp/B0039QDAKE

Can I use this item to control two actuators? Meaning, both actuators would be move at the same time, and the same amounts. But if so, it would let me "cheat" and control the extra needed actuator.

Thanks for the help

Based on Page 12 of the PDF Installation Manual (HERE), it looks like the Z4 only has three (3) 24VAC relay outputs for JVA's. I don't believe a relay splitter is the right component as that is for the 2-pin 24VDC relays meant to control an external 120/240AC power source. The valve actuator pins are 3-pin wires and I don't believe there's anyway to split them to control two valves with one JVA socket. The power draw to actuate two valves from a single 24VAC source would likely cause an internal fuse to blow or damage the 24VAC relay...these things are designed to drive one valve actuator each.

of course. but I was not convinced by the answer given. the guy was leafing through the manual; didn't seem to be a subject matter expert.

Yeah, that's pretty common in the pool industry. Very few pool builders know anything about automation outside what they are taught by the equipment vendors (and the vendors themselves have pretty poorly trained phone reps). PB's good at digging holes, building reinforced concrete walls and slapping some plaster and tiles on it.... for everything else they pretty much wing-it.

I think you're stuck with the Solomon's Choice - you have to choose between automating the bubblers or automating the spillway....no splitting the baby....

Looks like that board will work. If you don't have an open relay You could also use the diagram below and build your own actuator controller, replace the time clock with a WiFi 120VAC outlet or switch like a WiOn or Wemo and you would be able to activate it from your smart phone.

Actuator wiring.jpg

I have an open relay! Aux 3 is not used, so I'll disconnect it and connect the 5254 at the relay socket.

Any idea what menu option this would get programmed under?

I just checked the menu, and AUX 3 is labeled as FOUNTAIN. But nothing is plugged into AUX 3 and the fountain works just fine?

EDIT: The current Fountain was the Solar input relabeled. AUX 3 was also Fountain, but it was not used. Once my CCA and actuator show up, I should be in business!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I don't recall the exact menu to assign relays but I do recall it is in the programming mode. Push both the up and down arrows and hold until it enters programming. I am fairly sure it is what you would expect something like assign relays. There are several different pre-programmed descriptions to choose from, you give it a name and assign it it's to one of the unused pump speeds. Once it's assigned it will show up under the devices menu, you can even set it to run on the timer. If you don't figure it out let me know and I will go through my panel and post step by step directions.

Finally got the 5254 board and JVA yesterday, so I hooked it all up.

I will start by saying that the card's connectors do not match those of the PC board inside the Aqualink Z4. They are both 3 prong, and the spacing between each prong is fine. Where the problem arises is that the connector from the transformer to the PC board has the retaining spring clip on it. The expansion board's connector has protrusions that would "hold" a spring clip to it. This creates an issue when plugging the expansion board into the main PC board, and the 24V transformer into the expansion card. Neither connection is "solid" but rather just press fit with friction holding it together.

I called Zodiac/Jandy to confirm the card was the right version, but they basically told me I was not a pool tech and that they couldn't help me. "There is only one place that card can plug in, and its very easy. A pool pro could do this in a few minutes." Gee, thanks...

The other connectors on the expansion board all clip right in as they should; JVA to expansion board, expansion board to relay socket.

Anyway, I'll get around to installing proper connectors soon enough. But I used the friction fit install to test everything, and it works OK. The only issue is that my 4th actuator now moves when the 3rd actuator does. They move in concert. The 3rd actuator is connected to my solar JVA socket on the PC board, and has been assigned the name "fountain." I could not find a relay assign feature in the menu, or in the manual. The only option close is "Assign JVA" but those are already being used and are named properly.

Any thoughts on how to get the 3rd and 4th actuators to work independently and have the 4th one be schedulable?

Thanks!

I will take a closer look at my panel when I get home for the programming.

I can't find a manual on the expansion board but if it works the way I think it should one of the JVA ports should just be a pass through port for the 3rd already assigned JVA. The new 4th JVA port would be energized/de-energized by virtue of AUX3 being activated. On the new expansion board try swapping the JVA's perhaps you have the new JVA on the pass through port and the previously existing JVA on the port controlled by Aux3

ah ok, then lets hope it is just that your previously unused aux3 is tied in programming to JAV3 so when one is activated so is the other. If you take the new board out and activate aux3 does it make your solar JVA move as well? That would prove it's in programming and the new board is not causing them to somehow be linked.

I believe that my AUX1 has been named "Cleaner" AUX2 as "lights" and AUX3 and "Fountain." I can turn the fountain on, and that moves the solar JVA attached to the fountain's valve. Is that what you mean?

However, why would my AUX3 be called "fountain" if nothing was ever connected to it (see pic above of my main PCB inside the Z4).

Yup that is what I mean, it sounds like Aux3 is assigned in programing as fountain along with the JAV for your fountain. you restating that reminded me my setup is the same as yours, I don't yet have a solar JAV but the one JVA I have is assigned as "waterfalls" for my sheer and it activates my AUX3 relay even though like you nothing is connected there. My hope is that the 2 can be unbound in programing so you can re-label Aux3 to what ever function your new JAV is going to serve I just don't recall how the logic is built so I will have to relearn it when I am standing in front of my panel. If it can be made to work independently I suspect you are going to have to control one of the JVAs via schedules, meaning it won't show up in the devices menu so you can just turn it on/off manually. As far as I know the z4 only supports manual activation of 4 devices The pump, and 3 others in your case currently lights, cleaner, and fountain. Since the pump relay is not reassign able and the lights and cleaner actually use a relay those can't be moved to schedule only so that will leave the JAVs if it is even possible.

Unfortunately I don't have good news but I am sure I am just missing something, this is what I see...

Push the up and down arrows at the same time to enter programing mode if you arrow down several times you will see assign JVA and assign AUX. The assign AUX menu lets you choose from many predefined descriptions for each AUX relay or you can just leave them as aux 1, 2, & 3. The assign JVA menu appears to only let you choose none or one of the AUX relays my hope was it would let you choose from either the aux relays or another unused definition all together. That you could then assign under the pump menu "assign speeds".

Does your solar activate a JAV when either scheduled or when the outside temp reaches a certain point? If it does there has to be a way to get a JAV to act independently of the aux relays I am either missing it or my board is a different rev than yours. Sorry I could not help.

I scrolled through the same options yesterday, but was hoping there was something I missed. I guess not, as we seem to have the same version.

The solar jva only comes on when scheduled. Has nothing to do with temp.

Thanks for trying!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.