Adding Borax - Why muriatic acid vs PH Down?

Aug 29, 2016
Austin, Texas
After having our pool replastered at the beginning of summer, I took over the pool maintenance from my husband and have had wonderful luck with the TFP method. I'm planning to add borates via the Borax & acid method after reading such positive discussions on this site. I did have one question - I always use PH Down instead of Muriatic acid mostly due to convenience. Normally on the site, and in the calculator they are presented as either/or but everything I've been reading on adding borax only says to use the muriatic acid. I'm sure there must be a reason but wanted to understand why before I go making trips to Home Depot or wherever to buy muriatic acid.

The Boric acid is the way to go. I did my 32K with 20 Mule Team and it's a lot of boxes and a lot of acid. If I have to dump the water and do it over again like when the liner is replaced I'd go with the one step Boric Acid.
DudaDiesel - - > Google

Attachments

• Borax addition sm.jpg
    Borax addition sm.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 87
Having done both the 20 mule team and boric acid methods, I agree. Just order granular boric acid from Duda Diesel. The total cost will be similar and it's so much easier. Just toss the correct amount in and brush it around a bit, and you're done.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.