Liner out of track

Neworldjef

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2014
Monmouth Junction, NJ
Hi All - my liner lock keeps coming out. 20'x40' in ground and replacement liner is 3 years old. Liner itself stays in all season even when liner lock pops out but over the winter (pool is closed from Oct-May) I get liner lock pops and some liner too. With my last liner (original) I knocked some pennies in to wedge the liner lock in better but I do not want copper getting into water and it also looks bad. There must be some small, plastic wedge-shaped pieces out there that will do the trick. I've searched online and Home Depot to see if something like this is out there for another purpose already to no avail. My other thought is to tap liner lock in very well and then use a screwdriver to bend the upper part of metal track down a bit to make it all more snug. Track is a channel with upper and lower parts and I'm referring to the upper part which is accessible when liner is in.

Thoughts?

Thanks - Jeff

Re: Liner out of track A-B-Cs

M3power - thanks for replying but I think you might have done too quick a read of my post. I have liner lock (and all the way around) but the liner lock is popping out. I'm looking for ways to better secure it in the track. If you take another look at my post my problem should be clearer.

In any case - thanks for taking time to reply.

Thanks,

Jeff

Before my pool walls started to cave in I used something called liner lock. It worked great it's about $35 for 120 feet long. Should work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Liner out of track A-B-Cs

Since pennies worked well in the past, you need something strong and penny sized. Check and see if your local library has a 3-D printer. You can print some pennies to use as a liner lock without the copper content to worry about. If you are luck they will have a color that will blend in with your pool. You also may try searching for nylon shims and washers.

Hi Jeff. Pennies are made mostly of zinc nowadays (2.5% copper according to the mint). I have these small plastic "tabs" that have ridges on it. they are about 1 cm wide and help. It's similar to the lock you mention but hard plastic and small individual pieces. I can't find them online though. Maybe a pool store can help. They left them when my pool was built. Actually left as garbage they didn't clean up so I was lucky to find them as I used two of them thus far.

Pennies are pretty common and perfectly safe. You can usually push them in far enough that you barely see anything. Usually when people start messing around with a screwdriver in their track, they end up putting a hole in the liner--not recommended. Also, it will be pretty hard to bend the track to make it more snug.

The liner lock is coming out for one of two reasons--the track gap is too wide or you aren't putting the liner lock in securely enough. If the gap is too wide, you can actually wedge the liner lock in far enough so the fat part goes into the track. If that isn't the problem, just make sure you are installing it properly. You should be able to pound the liner lock in far enough so only the fat part is showing. Use a small hammer carefully.

Good Luck!

Thanks.

Won't the pennies rust or give off some kind of discoloration onto the liner lock or the top of the liner? If not, that is certainly the easiest solution.

I am pretty handy and actually take a small screwdriver with a wide, blunt tip and a rubber mallet to the liner lock. It is in as far as it can go! The track is too wide I believe. Not sure if there is fatter liner lock - that is a good option if it exists.

Pennies are pretty common and perfectly safe. You can usually push them in far enough that you barely see anything. Usually when people start messing around with a screwdriver in their track, they end up putting a hole in the liner--not recommended. Also, it will be pretty hard to bend the track to make it more snug.

The liner lock is coming out for one of two reasons--the track gap is too wide or you aren't putting the liner lock in securely enough. If the gap is too wide, you can actually wedge the liner lock in far enough so the fat part goes into the track. If that isn't the problem, just make sure you are installing it properly. You should be able to pound the liner lock in far enough so only the fat part is showing. Use a small hammer carefully.

Good Luck!

It seems like your liner isn't locking into place.. We just pulled and reseated about 20' in my pool on Saturday. My issue was to do with coping that had come loose, but it required removing the liner from the coping to correct. When we were reseating the liner, we could hear a slight snap as we reseated the liner. we used a lot of hot boiling water directly from the kettle (and removed 12" of water from pool at recommendation of a pool guy I know) to stretch the liner until it seated properly. Is it possible it's not seating correctly?

IMG_20160827_1617232.jpgIMG_20160827_1726588.jpg

Liner is generally fine and only small sections pop out over winter. No pop outs over summer. Liner lock (white strips which hold liner in track) keep coming out and I want to get them in snugly. Pretty sure track is too wide. I have several suggestions for items to use as wedges to add to snugness. Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi. I got a picture of what I was talking about. I hope it can be of help to Jeff or anyone else. They are just slightly wider than a penny.

Thanks for the info. What makes this different than the usual liner lock? Also, they seem to have several types (standard vs. thick and straight vs. notched). I'm wondering since my current liner lock seems to not be snug enough if the thick version of this will do the trick. Not sure about benefits of straight vs. notched. Please share any input you have and I'll also call the manufacturer tomorrow. I've been thinking a thicker liner lock might be just what I need but could not find anything.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Google Frank Wall liner lock.. It's the best, I'm not a fan of the rolls or the "stiffy" in photo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.