Member Map

Rollercoastr

Gold Supporter
May 18, 2016
West Bloomfield, MI
I'm a member of other (non-pool) forums that have implemented a "Member Map" so we can at-a-glance see member locations.

I think that could be useful. If I knew people nearby, I'd be willing to share my lifetime supply of DE for example. (or better yet, I could've borrowed someone else's!) :p

Another idea you can try is to go the the drop down list called "Community" and go to the "Members List". Then up in the top right hand side put in "West Bloomfield, MI" and it will bring up posts by anyone listing that in their profile. You might see folks posts and consider private messaging them to make contact.

I do not believe we ask for or capture zip codes. And for some reason many members put their city but not their state in the location field. But, that is just a text field anyway so stripping the info isn't possible. Especially since people often put something like DFW, TX. :) The only purpose of the location is so we know what climate your pool is in so we can offer better advice on things that are impacted by climate.

A benefit of having members manually add pins is that we'd get the active members who want to be on the map.

- - - Updated - - -

Especially since people often put something like DFW, TX.

I've wondered if the Dallas / Ft Worth area is the only one that's identified by residents using the airport code. I have referred to Fort Lauderdale as FTL, but then they changed the code to FLL...

While it is an option to allow this it's something I'd have to greatly look into before doing. This option is not available "out of the box" from vBulletin however there are various modifications that alter the forum code to add this feature. While not uncommon to use these modifications (TFP uses about 10) these are something we tend to avoid as they can cause various errors to the software. In addition as TFP grows and updates its site these modifications too will need to be updated. This is something that frequently isn't an option without custom codes being written.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.