Dolphin S300i filter basket micron question

jwfrank

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 14, 2008
Todi, Umbria, Italy
I am replacing an Aquabot Viva whioch has given good service over 7 years. Based on reviews on TFP, I have chosen the Maytronics Dolphin S300i. the Aquabot had a fine fabric filter bag which cleaned down to 2 microns, good for fine dirt and silt. I note that the S300i has 2 options, one for 30 microns and one for 200 microns. It seems that the Aquabot would be able to filter more fine "debris". Has anyone tried to add such a fabric to the Dolphin filter basket to more effectively clean the water? I also wonder whether such a fabric might force the motor to work harder. I still have a number of the Aquabot filter bags and it would be easy to attach them to the Dolphin filter basket if it wouldn't harm the robot.

THoughts or your experience appreciated

You can't see any particles much below about 30-50 microns so the "2-micron bag" will simply clog quicker but not get your water visually cleaner. It's usually just fine to get out the smallest particle you can but, if your pool is dirty, that fine filtration can be a pain clearing up your pool.

See how clean your pool gets with the filters made for it. I think you'll find it is perfectly adequate. I always like to post this pic when we discuss filtration.....this is my 7 year old sand filter with absolutely no modification....the water is 6 feet deep clear water.JPG

Thanks for fast reply, Dave. Actually, my pool water looks like yours, crystal clear. But I know when I have used the aquabot, the fabric filter very often is dirty and I don't mean with what it has collected from the bottom, but with what I would call "dust". I wil see if the Dolphin also collects this "dust". (I put dust in quotes because i think of dust as DRY).

I know the old filter claimed 2 microns - But I doubt it was accurate

2 microns is 1/25 the diameter of a human hair ...
1/4 the size of a red blood cell
The human eye cannot see anything smaller than 40 microns in size.
Baldwin Filters | Tech Tips
What Is a Micron Rating? Micron Sizes for Water Filters

I just dont believe a pool sweeper bag is actually capable of filtering bacteria size particles. IT would clog in 10 min

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.