Pump dry when starting OK?

Sep 23, 2015
Bloomington IN
I run my pump on a timer. I noticed that when it starts up the filter basket isn't full of water and it has to suck water in. It gets going OK. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a problem.
There's a sticker on the pump that says the basket should be full of water prior to starting, that's why I'm asking.

I looked at the pump this morning. The basket was nearly empty. Just a little bit of water left in the bottom of the basket. Just to be safe, I removed the timer and am running the pump continously.

I didn't see any obvious leaks. I'll look again tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As soon as I unplug the pump I see air bubbles coming from what seems like the bottom of the lid where the o-ring is. However, even if I rotate the lid, the bubbles still come from the same spot on the housing. That makes me think it's not the lid or the o-ring.

The bubbles always come up from the inlet side of the basket housing. Any ideas on how i can find where the air is being sucked in from?

I think I found the air is coming in where the PVC comes into the pump/basket. You can see where the previous owner globed a bunch of sealant around there. It really only seems to be a problem when I stop the pump. The basket stays completely full when the pump is running. Maybe I just leave the pump running 24/7 this year and deal with fixing it properly the next off season.

IMG 2375 — imgbb.com

You might be paying $200 or so (in electric) extra for putting it off. I don't want to be a scare monger but I would fic it up nice and clean.....it'll likely stop that leak and last for years.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.