Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I raise my TA?

1. Back To Top    #1

Youngsville, LA

Should I raise my TA?

I have a 15k in ground plaster SWG pool. My TA is currently at 40, should I raise it and if so how much? Looking through the table of contents, the recommended range is 60-80, should I try 60 first? Will a low TA cause my pH to rise at a faster rate than normal?
    15k Gallon In Ground Saltwater Gunite Pool and Spa w/ Overflow
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus Pool Cleaner
    Main Filter Pump - 1.5HP Pentair Whisperflo connected to Triton II Sand Filter
    Spa Pump - 2HP Pentair Whisperflo w/ 2HP Polaris Spa Air Blower
    Resilience PSC3 SWCG

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Riverside, CA

Re: Should I raise my TA?

A low TA will limit your pH rise. A higher TA will make the pH rise faster and higher.

Can you post a full set of test results?
    33K In ground Pool/Spa, IntelliFlo, IntelliChlor SWG, Easytouch, ScreenLogic, MasterTemp 400, Quad 100, IntelliPH, MiniPebble, Dolphin Z5, POOL BUILD

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide
    Central PA

An SWG tends to push PH up. A high TA can encourage PH rise. Too low of a TA can bottom out the PH. What has your PH been testing at lately?
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

I would raise TA to 50 and answer the questions above.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5
    SW Louisiana

My suggestion is to monitor your pH over a period of time and note if it is rising, if it is then don't raise your TA
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~