Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing pool, plugging the return line opening?

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing pool, plugging the return line opening?

Looking to start the process of closing the pool this year as water temps are at 55 degrees, so I figure its going to be soon here.

Anyway, the cover I got last year was too small as I was looking at the wrong guide and its one that sits on top the water and lets water through. In theory it worked well, but since it was so short it bowed and tore slightly.

Looking at my pool, I am wondering if I plug the return opening, could I leave the water level at a place I feel will let the cover sit better. It would still be about a 12 inch overall drop and the return line would be plugged. Last year it didn't rise up much when froze.

is this is possibilty?
    - Splash Omega 20 Above Ground 20 ft round 4ft deep 9000 gallon pool
    - Splashpak Cartridge Filter, EF75 1HP 75 GPM pump
    - TFT-100 XL Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Closing pool, plugging the return line opening?

There's no problem with the water higher than the plugged returns. Now your skimmers may be a different story if there not protected properly and you get a hard freeze.
    19,000 gal - Vinyl IG - Sand filter -1.5hp. - Taylor k 2006 - Loop Loc cover

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

I made and used these to close and it worked great

here they are installed
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

4. Back To Top    #4

so the snorkels are basically at the top of your waterline? If so, pretty cool setup what is the black part needed for?

For the skimmer I plug it fully like I am thinking for the return. As it sits though I may just order the right sized cover but go with one that says that its made to have water / snow sit on top of it to hold it down . with the wind here, maybe that is the better option.

its this one:

Winter Pool Cover Above Ground Arctic Armor 8 year Warranty | PC Pools
    - Splash Omega 20 Above Ground 20 ft round 4ft deep 9000 gallon pool
    - Splashpak Cartridge Filter, EF75 1HP 75 GPM pump
    - TFT-100 XL Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

the black pieces (1.5 inch plug) are so water does not go into the pipe after I blew the water out with my shop vac
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **