Definition of professional installation

What are you trying to install?

You can call the equipment manufacturer and they will usually tell you what is required for "professionally installed". Sometimes you just have to pay the money to get the installation done for warranty. Some people have paid an electrician or plumber a small(er) fee to verify that the DIY install was done to code and then they sign the documents attesting to it.

Sometimes you just DIY and forget about the warranty as many are written these days to give the widest possible latitude to the manufacturer.

I'm thinking about 2 pumps, SWC, controller. My licensed electrician would sign for me but I don't know if Pentair or Hayward would accept this.

I think that would be acceptable or, at the very least, Ive heard of people doing that before and getting the warranty. You can call either manufacturer and ask, they will tell you.

Some companies require the installer to be certified by them and others only want an insured/licensed installer. I am a certified Weil-Mclain installer for home boilers. To get that I had to attend a couple of their installer classes. Without this, I could not do warranty work and would not be able to purchase boilers thru normal channels. I have been to a couple of failed boilers by non certed installers who wanted me to take care of the warranty work for due to bad installs. Sorry, can't help, is the only answer I give.

I never really looked into what the pool heater companies want for Pro installs. I do know that a couple of Hayward heaters in my area were denied coverage because they were not "installed properly" although one i looked at was done exactly to their manual by the home owner.

Maybe Paul has some insight to this.

I have only dealt with Pentair, but when I called them and asked for a definition of "Profesional Install" as it relates to their warranty and rebate programs, I was told to just include a copy of the bill for installation from a professional. Plumber, electrician, pool service company all seem to meet their requirements. I have a local "pool service company" who supplied a receipt for their "install". I got my rebate from Pentair and confirmed that my pump was registered for warranty coverage. If they don't define it any better than "Profesional install" most any related professional should qualify.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.